First annual 'Feast Before the Fight' excites students for Homecoming

Homecoming only happens once a year, and it was rung in Wednesday in the Pit amid a sea of Carolina blue pom-poms and banging drums.

The General Alumni Association, Carolina Dining Services and the Carolina Athletic Association collaborated to present the first annual Feast Before the Fight, an event aimed to excite students for Saturday's Homecoming football game against Miami.

As early as 6 p.m., murmurs of excitement echoed among groups assembled around booths giving away icy snow cones, pink- and blue-tinted cotton candy, buttery popcorn and steamy apple cider.

Pie-eating contests, inflatable pitching booths and double-shot basketball stations were only a few of the carnival activities in which students could partake to get pumped up for Saturday's game.

A stilt walker mingled with the energy-infused crowd while a juggler pranced gracefully through the sea of students.

In the background of all this activity, the loud, clanging sound of the bell from a carnival game that tests one's strength could be heard harmonizing with the bluegrass melodies of the Big Fat Gap Band.

The walls of Lenoir Dining Hall came alive with the vivid colors that jumped off the Homecoming banners that various student organizations submitted for a contest.

Katie Jensen, coordinator of the Homecoming banner competition, said the five banners that won in each category will hang in Kenan Stadium during Saturday's game.

"The banners will be up in the stadium during the game, which will lend spirit to the game and the boys," she said.

Football Coach John Bunting greeted the crowd with a familiar salutation during the pep rally.

"The last time I saw you was on the field after we beat N.C. State," he said. "If we can do that this time, I might get naked with you."

Woody Durham, a legendary radio announcer for the Tar Heel Sports Network, served as emcee for the pep rally and also noted the challenge that the football team faces.

"This is one of the biggest challenges Carolina football has ever faced," he said.

Jason Brown, a senior offensive lineman who Durham introduced as the most outstanding center in the country, hyped the crowd by describing the live broadcast of the game.

"We know Miami's a hard opponent. But we set this up strategically because we will be playing live on ESPN," he said. "We want everyone to know what Carolina pride is all about."

Doug Justice, a junior linebacker from Florida, emphasized the football team's need for its fans.

"We need you guys to come out in living color ... because we are going to give you the game of your life," he said.

Coach Bunting dedicated a large portion of the football team's victories over Georgia Tech and N.C. State to the fans. He offered his thanks to the swarms of Carolina blue that coat the stadium during football games.

"I'll see you at the Old Well walk," Bunting said. "Let's get fired up."

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide