GOP accuses opponents of blocking spots

State Republicans have publicly accused the N.C. State Board of Elections of catering to party politics and preventing ads against the Democratic incumbent governor from reaching the airwaves.

Members of Patrick Ballantine's campaign and the N.C. Republican Party say a partisan BOE is the reason the gubernatorial candidate's campaign has not been allowed to air ads against Gov. Mike Easley.

"The governor appoints the majority of the board, and the Democrats now control the board," said Bill Peaslee, chief of staff, political director and special legal counsel for the N.C. Republican Party.

When the Republican Governors Association tried to put out ads promoting Ballantine, the BOE stopped the corporately funded ads. The board claimed the association did not register as a political action committee, and non-PAC organizations can't use corporate funding for advertisements.

But Republican Party members cried foul, citing the State Capitol Media Project, a Washington, D.C.-based organization founded by former Democratic governors that was allowed to air ads in favor of Easley.

"The same standard should be applied, and there should be a level playing field," Peaslee said.

But Kim Strach, deputy director of campaign finance at the BOE, said the State Capitol Media Project does not have a political purpose, so it can air the ads.

"Their goal is to discuss issues and policies of Democratic candidates," she said.

Schorr Johnson, communications director of the N.C. Democratic Party, said both Democrats and Republicans on the board voted unanimously that the RGA's ad was illegal.

But he also said other BOE rulings about political ads have been in favor of the Democrats.

"Of course (the BOE) is partisan, but it doesn't mean the ruling is wrong," said Ferrel Guillory, director of UNC's Program on Southern Politics, Media and Public Life.

Despite this innate partisanship, Guillory said the BOE has been able to work through party differences when making decisions.

In a statement, RGA Executive Director Edward Tobin still claimed the BOE's decision was partisan, and the association will try to overturn it in federal courts.

"Their sole goal is to play a version of Dean Smith's old four corners and keep voices critical of Gov. Easley off the air through Nov. 2."

Guillory said the organization can go to court and challenge the ruling, but the BOE is abiding by the letter of the law. The RGA just hadn't filled out the right paperwork.

"Republican Governors Association has a spotty track record coming in and circumventing law," Johnson said.

"Patrick Ballantine should call on the Republican Governors Association to stay out of North Carolina and abide by the law."

Contact the State & National Editor at stnetdesk@unc.edu.