Graduate students vie for a presence

Report critiques GPSF, looks at group's impact

The Graduate and Professional Student Federation aims to have its voice heard on campus, and as GPSF President Jen Bushman's administration approaches the midway point of its term, the group is examining the impact of its voice.

The student body executive committee's October Report, which was released Tuesday, outlines Bushman's platform and evaluates the success of programs the GPSF has implemented thus far.

Bushman said she is pleased with where her administration stands.

"I think we've gotten a great jump on goals that we set," she said.

Much of the report focuses on the GPSF's efforts to develop the graduate student community.

According to the report, this process involves integrating graduate and professional students by incorporating individual schools and programs into the graduate school as a whole.

A redesigned Web site also is aimed at making GPSF more accessible and helpful to student in the group.

"It will help us get the word out," said Ben Mount, GPSF secretary. "We are an inclusive organization."

Bushman said a new and improved graduate student orientation provided a jump-start to achieving this development.

This year, a panel was developed for orientation to aid international graduate students.

Also, this year's Welcome Reception was operated differently, as invitations were extended to both current and incoming graduate students instead of just new members.

Awareness and communication have been focuses of the administration as well.

This focus has included increased interaction between GPSF and the student body executive committee.

Mike Brady, GPSF vice president for external affairs, said cooperation has been a key to success thus far.

"Matt Calabria's administration is particularly sensitive to the graduate and professional student population," he said. "Calabria and Bushman spend a lot of time together."

A raise in the minimum teaching assistant salary from $5,000 per semester to $5,500 also was a key goal that was accomplished ruing the first half of Bushman's term.

Other issues outlined in the report include parking and transportation, student services, judicial system improvement, international student issues and tuition.

GPSF authored its own report, separate from student government, which is set to come out later this week.

The full report will expound and highlight issues other than those present in Bushman's original platform.

It also will include the progress of a new travel fund initiative aimed at allocating money to graduate and professional students so they can attend conferences and other academic endeavors to enhance their education and further their careers.

The report also will document the progress of the new graduate center, located on East Franklin Street., which has been in the works since 2001.

Midway through her term, Bushman said that although she's happy with her administration's efforts, there are still more things in store.

"I have a wonderful staff who is very motivated," she said.

"We have many more projects in the plan."