Greek fire code violations increase

Recent fire inspections conducted by the Chapel Hill Fire Department revealed that, compared with last spring, fire code violations increased slightly this semester in Greek houses.

The Interfraternity Council's organizations with houses had a total of 96 violations, five fewer than last semester, while sororities had an increase of violations from eight last semester to 21 this semester.

Four out of the 19 IFC fraternities with houses completed the inspections with no violations: Chi Phi, Kappa Sigma, Phi Delta Theta and Pi Lambda Phi.

Kappa Alpha led the number of violations with 13, but 10 of these were more minor than life-safety violations, which the fire department puts emphasis on during reinspections, said Jay Anhorn, director of Greek affairs.

Seth Glazer, fire marshal of Kappa Alpha, said the violations have since been reinspected and cleared. The life-safety violations resulted from large objects left in the halls after the move-in period.

"The fire department helped us get our violations taken care of," Glazer said.

Life-safety violations normally consist of light bulbs being burned out in exit signs and obstruction of exits.

Sigma Chi had five life-safety violations, the most out of the fraternities, and Kappa Kappa Gamma topped the sorority list with four.

The fire department will conduct ongoing reinspections to ensure that life safety violations are corrected. If the violation is not corrected by the second inspection, the fraternity or sorority will be fined $100, Capt. John Parker said.

"Normally, the fraternities will have everything taken care of by the second inspection," Anhorn said.

More minor violations include broken or missing outlet covers and ceiling tiles and holes in walls.

Each semester, the Office of Greek Affairs and the Chapel Hill Fire Department conduct a fire safety training session, but this is the first time there was 100 percent attendance from all sororities and fraternities.

Parker said the fire department and Anhorn compile a list of past violations to provide fraternities and sororities with a pre-inspection checklist.

Fire awareness has been a priority in the Greek community since a 1996 fire in the Phi Gamma Delta house that claimed five lives.

"We've been pretty consistent with fire safety training since the Phi Gamm fire," Anhorn said.

The IFC will propose a fire amendment Tuesday to the judicial bylaws, which will request that life-threatening violations shall be referred to the chair of the Greek Judicial Board to determine whether a case is warranted. Sanctions will be determined if appropriate.

"IFC takes fire violations seriously," said Walker Rutherfurd, president of the IFC.

"That is why we are proposing changes to judicial bylaws so we may address cases as they may arrive."

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide