Group is working to improve pedestrian safety on Airport Road

Online Exclusive

A Chapel Hill group hoping to promote physical activity by making pedestrian conditions safer met Thursday to discuss its current programs and future goals.

To achieve this goal, the Chapel Hill Active Living by Design advisory committee is currently working with the Chapel Hill Town Council to better traffic conditions on Airport Road.

"It's a source of worry to the city, with people crossing the streets," said Rob Koontz, a member of the town's transportation advisory board. It's very unsafe, he added.

"It's a high volume street with high speeds," said David Bonk, principal transportation planner for the town.

Recently, the town prepared the N.C. Highway 86/Airport Road Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety Study, which provided an evaluation of traffic conditions on Airport Road and suggestions for possible improvements.

"There are a lack of buffers between the sidewalks and travel lanes," Bonk said.

Koontz said safety refuge "islands" need to be placed in the middle of the road to aid crossing pedestrians.

The group discussed the problems inherent in undertaking such actions.

"The other issue is money," said Bonk. "Anything we do out there has to be with the approval of the state department of transportation."

And an action plan would be required to make necessary changes. But such a plan has yet to be created.

"It's far from a plan," said Regina Blalock, of the Chapel Hill Parks and Recreation Commission. "It's a detailed study."

The group said they endorsed the principals behind the study, but some members had reservations about fully supporting it.

"We don't necessarily know if we all agree with the plan, in cost, if nothing else," said Terry Blalock, also from the Parks and Recreation Commission.

But the committee eventually decided to use the study to create an action plan.

"It should get priority from this committee at least and the town council as well," Bonk said. "We've seen an increase in pedestrian activity, particularly on campus."

The group also discussed an annual mobility report card, which the council received Oct. 11.

The report card, taken every two to three years, also demonstrates how effective the committee's efforts have been, Bonk said.

"The only thing that has caused us problems is bike activity," he said. "People who used to ride bikes now find it more convenient to get out and ride the bus."

In addition to working to improve Airport Road, the group has several other programs.

Bonk said its subcommittees allow community members to take an active niche role.

The Promotions Subcommittee works to inform people of what the group and its plans are.

"The promotional aspect is to get people to be more interested and to get out there in the environment," said Meg Molloy, of the North Carolina Prevention Partners.

Also, the Active School Program allows parents to work to encourage physical activities among school children, Bonk said.

Marge Anders Lambert, acting executive director of the North Carolina Smart Growth Alliance, said the committee is a great way to get involved locally. "I feel really proud to live in Chapel Hill and know that such studies are going on."