Library's history turns a new page

Special collections library celebrates its 75th year, looks to push ahead

A candlestick telephone and an ancient typewriter face a huge, clunky dinosaur of a machine.

The machine, a microfilm reader from the 1950s, holds a plaque inscribed with some of the earliest thoughts on Wilson Library, where an exhibit celebrating the library's 75th anniversary will remain until Feb. 13.

"It is touched and ennobled by the dreams and sacrifice and devotion of a very great man - Dr. Louis R. Wilson - and represents the culmination of an aspiration on the part of our people," said former N.C. Gov. O. Max Gardner at the building's dedication ceremony, which took place Oct. 19, 1929.

The exhibit, housed in the North Carolina Collection Gallery, features photographs, explanations of different stages in the history of the library and library artifacts. Its use of both text and images makes the information interesting and highly accessible, said Harry McKown, reference associate in the North Carolina Collection.

"You can learn an amazing amount in a short period of time," he said. "And it's visual, so it sticks with you."

So, many say, does the library. Seventy-five years after Gardner spoke his famous words, University Librarian Emeritus Joe Hewitt echoed his sentiments.

When the library was built in 1929, it was the physical symbol of the ambition of the University to become a modern university," he said. "... Wilson is a landmark building on campus, like the Old Well."

Faculty and students originally knew the building simply as The Library until it was formally renamed in honor of Wilson in 1956.

"For many generations of students, it was the main library," said Larry Alford, deputy university librarian. "They worked, studied, even met future spouses there."

In 1952, after World War II had ended, the University's population skyrocketed, and students using the library perched in windowsills and sat on stairways. Officials then decided to add new wings for study rooms and 10 levels of bookstacks.

A second expansion in 1977 added space for 1 million books and 900 carrels.

After Davis Library opened in 1984, Wilson underwent a three-year renovation and received a new mission in 1987 as the University's special collections library.

"Until 1984, Wilson played the role that Davis plays today," Hewitt said. "Now it's where students go to learn how to use primary sources, and it's used nationally by researchers."

Wilson holds a wealth of primary sources, including manuscripts, photographs, rare books, sound recordings and other artifacts.

Among the most noted of these jewels are the North Carolina Collection, the largest collection of published materials related to a single state, and the Southern Historical Collection, one of the largest collections of manuscripts related to the American South.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide