Masked ball spices things up

Online Exclusive

There's a new masquerade in town, and this time it's charitable.

Spice Street restaurant will host "Masquerade" at its University Mall location Oct. 30. A portion of the proceeds will go to Alliance of AIDS Services-Carolina.

The black tie semi-formal costume party, hosted by Urban Cowboyz Entertainment of the Triangle, is designed for graduate students and young professionals from the Research Triangle Park, organizers said.

Shanika McClain, representative for Urban Cowboyz Entertainment, said the party is a good networking opportunity.

The event's formal dress code makes it unique.

"We just wanted to try something different," said Calvin Lloyd, co-chief executive officer for Urban Cowboyz Entertainment.

"Most people just have traditional costumes and masks. Our event is similar to the ballroom scene from 'Eyes Wide Shut.'"

For men, a tuxedo, business suit or sports coat with dress slacks and a black tie is the required attire. Women must wear either a gown or dress. Venetian masks are required of all the guests.

Featured entertainment will include the Kirk Keyes Jazz Ensemble and DJ Tommy Gee from Foxy 99 radio station WZFX.

For an extra $10 in addition to the regular $15 ticket price, VIP guests will receive access to art galleries, a salsa workshop, valet parking, complimentary wine, hors d'oeuvres and a special handmade mask imported from Italy.

"It's an experience," Lloyd said. "We're trying to create a mood different from a regular party or club."

Venetian masks will be provided with the purchase of a ticket while supplies last.

Organizers are expecting a large turnout because of the approaching homecomings of N.C. Central University and UNC-CH. Lloyd said he expects 500 people at least.

Mask Italia, an online company offering discount costumes for the event, is a large provider to performance arts companies, wholesalers and theatre groups all over the world, said manager Jessica Deck.

The event begins Saturday at 10 p.m. Tickets are on sale now.

Contact the A&E Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu