Myriad groups seek voter participation

Online Exclusive

Candidates and political parties aren't the only ones trying to encourage voter activism this election season. Community organizations across the state and the nation are continuing to promote programs to get out the vote among their members.

El Pueblo, a nonprofit organization that provides resources to the Latino community, has been particularly active in encouraging Latinos to vote.

"The fact that they are voting means they have a voice," said Marisol Jimenez, director of the Advocacy Initiative and the El Pueblo Votes campaign.

"Since June, we have been doing the El Pueblo Votes campaign in North Carolina and registered over 1,200 voters, mainly Latino and immigrant voters," she said.

Latino and minority voters are important to elections, especially in close races such as this year's presidential contest.

"Reaching out to Hispanics is nothing new to us," said Kevin Howell, communications director for the N.C. Republican Party.

While Democrats usually are considered to be more active in representing minority interests, Howell said, the record shows the Republican party to be more responsive.

He noted that the Republican party is the only party to have both a Hispanic representative in the N.C. House and a Hispanic county commissioner.

Regarding specific candidate endorsements, Jimenez said El Pueblo is a nonprofit and nonpartisan organization.

Organizations in the religious community also are subject to nonpartisan restrictions.

"Churches can't endorse candidates because they are tax exempt," said Schorr Johnson, communications director of the N.C. Democratic Party.

While nonprofit organizations are not permitted to endorse one candidate or party, many choose issues of interest and take a stand on specific concerns during the election season.

John Hurley, director of information for the Unitarian Universalist Association, said the organization does hold opinions on matters that are important in this upcoming presidential election. In 1996, the association called for the legalization of same-sex marriages and continues to advocate for marital equality.

"We are a strong supporter of reproductive choice," Hurley said. He added that they are against any effort that would take away a woman's right to choose.

"Many of our congregations opposed the unilateral invasion of Iraq," he said.

The Roman Catholic Church also has taken a stand this year and has produced a list of five issues that Catholic voters need to think about when they go to the polls.

These five issues, as listed in the Voter's Guide for Serious Christians, are "actions that are intrinsically evil and must never be promoted by the law" and are listed as abortion, euthanasia, embryonic stem cell research, human cloning and same-sex marriage.

Father Timothy Reid, parochial vicar of St. Mark Catholic Church in Huntersville, stated that while there are other areas where Catholic voters should also be looking, these five take precedence.

The effect of social groups on election turnout has yet to be seen, but their influence in the community is clear.

"You can't take for granted any votes, so endorsements are somewhat important, but we are working hard to get all the votes," Howell said.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.