NCSU provost to pilot university

On what was described as a "red-letter day," the UNC system's governing body elected N.C. State University Provost James Oblinger as the university's new chancellor.

The Board of Governors unanimously approved Oblinger to replace interim chancellor Robert Barnhardt, who took over the post after former chancellor Marye Anne Fox left to head up the University of California-San Diego.

He will officially begin his new job on Jan. 1, 2005, and will receive an annual salary of $274,797.

"I am deeply honored to have been chosen as the thirteenth chancellor of North Carolina State University," Oblinger said.

Oblinger already knows the campus very well - he has served in a variety of posts at N.C. State since 1986.

UNC-system President Molly Broad announced the decision, saying that Oblinger has "proven himself to be collaborative, consultative, and a leader."

There were 96 qualified applicants competing for the position, said Bob Jordan, chairman of the chancellor's search committee.

"This chancellorship is one of the most coveted in the country," he said.

Fox, who had been N.C. State's chancellor since 1998, left in August to become UCSD's first permanent, appointed female chancellor. Her new salary is $350,000, up from her N.C. State pay of $248,220.

N.C. State Student Body President Tony Caravano said he is pleased with the decision to place Oblinger in the chancellor spot and appreciated the amount of input students had in the selection process.

During the selection process three public forums were held, at which people could express their views on what attributes the new chancellor should possess.

The last public forum was purposely held after the start of the school year to give as many students as possible the chance to speak about their wishes and concerns.

Caravano said he expects the students to be satisfied with the decision. "They'll be excited about having an internal candidate," he said.

Caravano also pointed out some of the challenges the new chancellor will face in the upcoming months. "One of the most important issues will be balancing athletics and academics," he said.

Oblinger is hopeful about the future of N.C. State and believes that having vision and building relationships are the keys to the university's future.

"Relationships are what this is all about," Oblinger said. "I believe the strength of the pack is in the wolf. And the strength of the wolf is in the pack.

"That is why we're the Wolfpack, and that's why I'm honored to be the next chancellor at North Carolina State University."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.