Officials provide safety reminder

Urge precautions during Fall Break

On the advent of Fall Break, students who elect to stay in their residence halls during the four-day respite must be cautious of crime.

But the relatively short length of Fall Break prevents any noticeable intensification of crime, campus officials say.

"We haven't traditionally seen a problem," said Jeff McCracken, deputy director of University police. "Fall Break is different from the longer breaks, which, because of their length, allow for more of an increase in crime."

The decrease in campus population during the break can itself be seen as both a safeguard and a catalyst for transgression.

While Fall Break might not be conducive to as many crimes as other periods without class, that does not mean the usual threat of larceny is diminished.

Randy Young, spokesman for University police, said it is imperative that students secure their valuables and that they do not leave their bookbags or computers unattended while at the library or gym - prime locations for theft.

Rick Bradley, assistant director for UNC's Department of Housing and Residential Education, said students should adhere to the same precautions the department has recommended throughout the school year.

Those precautions include avoiding walking on campus at night, taking the Point-2-Point bus whenever possible, not propping open the door to residence hall rooms, traveling in packs and keeping blinds closed.

Bradley added that in addition to their cautionary e-mails, housing officials plan to work with University police to secure the perimeters of residence halls and confirm that all doors are locked.

"Risk (for crime) is smaller on campus (during Fall Break) because of the lower risk of people holding the door for strangers at residence halls," said Jassandra Nanini, a junior Peace, War and Defense major. "But there will still be (resident assistants) on campus, and make sure that someone always knows where you're going since there will be fewer people to check up on you."

They also will enter buildings occasionally to make officials' presence known.

"If the University police weren't on duty, then one thing I would worry about is vandalism and possibly intruders," said Tandrea Hilliard, a junior biology major. "Because lots of times, people just let strangers in the dorms by holding the door open."

Both McCracken and Young underscored the importance of students being aware of their surroundings and contacting police immediately if they notice any suspicious activity.

"And that's not just suspicious activity in their residence hall, but anywhere on campus," Young said. "We hope that the students be our eyes and ears, and remain diligent."