One can be a farm boy and a UNC student at same time

The fighting spirit expressed in Meg Austin's column ("Entire town must not concede victory to Wolfpack invaders," Oct. 7) about Saturday's Battle of Kenan Stadium is the embodiment of everything that makes me proud to be a Tar Heel.

The need to band together, to stand behind our boys, the spirit of a people who do not know defeat - the finest of character traits passed down to us from women and men like Scarlett and Rhett.

But it's not passed to you, Meg Austin. If Scarlett lived in Chapel Hill, she would have the ladylike discretion to embrace the diversity of this place and acknowledge that there might be more than a few of those John Deere and Budweiser boys wearing Tar Heel blue, too.

Granted, I might be a journalism major, but I've had my share of soil science bailing hay behind those green tractors.

If you had ever done the same, you wouldn't be so stereotypical with Bud Heavy, 'cuz after sucking hay dust all morning, them light beers just don't cut it.

Just a moment, I'm going to get me a 'Weiser from the fridge and a dip when the bottle is empty, so I can try to calm down about the conflicting worlds of school spirit and farm boy roots you've created for me.

You know, you make me question whether I'd rather be from UNC or N.C. State this weekend - I'm almost as torn as those boys that fought on either side of that great war.

I'm unsure whether to pull for this new nation - oops, I mean UNC - or defend what's been there all along. I can't help but think though, anyone can come to school here and be a Tar Heel - but I'm Southern by the grace of God.

And by the way, those rednecks that called you "sugar" just said that stuff to be insulting - they never wanted you to go home with them.

They wouldn't like a girl that thinks "John Deere's brethren" is an insult anyway.

Paul A. Britt
Sophomore
Journalism

Cristobal M. Palmer
Junior

Undecided