Over-the-counter morning-after pill proposed

Online Exclusive

The Food and Drug Administration is considering a proposal that would make emergency contraception available over the counter to people 16 and over.

Barr Pharmaceuticals Inc., whose first proposal on the subject was denied by the FDA, is trying again with another proposal.

The FDA's decision is expected by next year. If the proposal goes through, Barr Pharmaceuticals' Plan B tablets will be available for purchase over the counter.

The pill, also known as the morning-after pill, works by providing a higher dosage of hormones than regular hormonal contraception.

It was previously recommended that the drug be taken within 72 hours of intercourse, but Planned Parenthood now says it can be effective as long as five days after intercourse.

"People think that you get pregnant right after intercourse," said Leigh Ann Robbins of Planned Parenthood. "But it takes four to five days for the sperm and egg to unite."

The pill reduces the chance of pregnancy by 89 percent when taken within 72 hours, but will have no effect if a woman is already pregnant. Planned Parenthood says it prevents 1.7 million unwanted pregnancies and 800,000 abortions each year in the United States.

The Pro-Life Action League in Chicago is one of emergency contraception's leading opponents. Ann Scheidler, the group's executive director, said making the pill available over-the-counter would be "a disaster."

"It gives young people a false sense of security," she said.

Scheidler said many teens often don't realize that they are susceptible to sexually transmitted diseases. She also said increasing access to the pill could cause young people to engage more often in reckless sexual behavior.

"It makes it seem like a pill can fix everything," Scheidler said.

Carolina Students for Life, a UNC organization with an anti-abortion philosophy, is also opposed to the use of the morning-after pill.

CSFL takes a position against the drug because the group views it as a form of abortion.

"We believe life begins at fertilization," said Lauren Richards, a senior member of CSFL. "While the pill acts by preventing ovulation, it also prevents a fertilized egg from implanting."

Richards said passing such a proposal would be like allowing abortions over the counter.

Dr. MargEva Cole of Durham Obstetrics and Gynecology said people do not go into sexual situations planning on being reckless. She added that people are going to do whatever they want regardless of the increased availability of the pill.

"If reckless behavior does occur, (the pill will) prevent unwanted pregnancies, and fewer abortions are going to happen."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.