Panel blesses boosts in fees

6 more increases garner approval

A student fees advisory committee approved six proposed increases during its meeting Friday, adding $57 to the fee hikes approved by committee members thus far.

Members of the Chancellor's Committee on Student Fees underscored that the increases are needed to maintain UNC's top-notch programs and continue efforts for future improvements.

"We have to adjust fees now to provide for students in the years ahead," said Student Body President Matt Calabria.

Among the fees passed by the committee, which advises Chancellor James Moeser on student fees, were:

-a $26 increase in students' health service fee;

-a $10 increase in the undergraduate application fee;

-a $9.50 addition to the education and technology fee to go to different career services groups;

-a $7 increase in the student transit fee;

-a $4 increase in the Carolina Union operating expenses fee;

-a $.50 increase in the child care services fee.

Student members passed the fees under the condition that extra revenue would be used to directly benefit the students who will be supplying the extra cash.

Alexa Kleysteuber, student body vice president, raised concerns about the waiting time at health services - especially at the Counseling and Psychological Service. Kleysteuber asked administrators to make sure these problems would be assessed and remedied by increasing staff.

Apprehensions also were apparent during the discussion of the undergraduate application fee increase, which will require undergraduate applicants to pay $70.

Steve Farmer, director of undergraduate admissions, lessened fears that the new fee will deter students from applying by explaining the department's future plans.

"Our office is a high-touch office," he said. "One of our main goals is to get more students here."

If students are allowed to visit UNC, Farmer said, a fee increase will not have a negative influence on a student's decision to apply.

Not all proposals were greeted with criticism, as many received strong backing from students.

Jen Bushman, president of the Graduate and Professional Student Federation, advocated the fee for the University's child care services, which began operating last fall.

"The only thing student parents at this university have is this service," she said. "We just need to do a little bit more and get students off the waiting list."

Administrators who presented their proposals Friday stated that the extra revenue is needed to continue efforts to better the University's student services for the future and to avoid deficits that have arisen due to increased enrollment.

"I think the theme of this year's student fees committee is that we're trying to fix the loopholes experienced in the past," Calabria said.