Panel to discuss tuition increases

ASG weighs in on possible hikes

WILMINGTON - As the UNC system's governing body nears a November vote on systemwide tuition increases, the system's tuition task force will work to finalize its recommendations during a Tuesday conference call.

Last year, the committee made dual recommendations of 2 percent and 0 percent. The system's Board of Governors ultimately decided against an across-the-board increase, though all 16 schools won approval for campus-based increases.

Members of the UNC-system Association of Student Governments were hopeful during the weekend that the task force will again propose a 0 percent systemwide increase.

But several student body presidents noted a rift between the administrations and students at their schools.

"Across the board, we're split," said Venessa Jones, student body president at UNC-Pembroke. "The students want 0 percent, and administration is going for 2.2 percent."

Winston-Salem State and Appalachian State universities both reported similar divides and indicated that administrators likely would support a 2.2 percent increase.

Leaders at other campuses - including UNC-Wilmington, UNC-Asheville, UNC-Chapel Hill, UNC-Greensboro and Fayetteville State University - said they will be advising against an increase.

"I think our administration so far has been pretty reserved in considering across-the-board tuition increases," said Matt Calabria, student body president of UNC-CH. "I think we can safely say that it's not appropriate for Chapel Hill at this time."

Victor Landry, ASG senior vice president, contended that schools gain little from supporting systemwide increases because the additional funding is not specifically earmarked for the system. Revenue from a systemwide increase goes directly into the state's general fund.

"We can recommend what they do with the money, but we have no say-so in where that money goes," he said. "It could go to anything that the state funds."

Because of this, most campuses are considering the possibility of campus-initiated increases, regardless of what the Board of Governors decides about a systemwide hike.

"I would expect that all the campuses would propose something," said ASG President Amanda Devore.

Last year, the board received proposals for as much as $300 in campus-initiated increases, and almost all of the universities requested the maximum amount.

Landry noted that any increase isn't likely to sit well with students.

"From a student's standpoint, I don't see a difference," he said.

"Are you asking me to give this money to the state, or are you asking me to give this money to the campus? To be honest, I don't have the money to give you."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.