Report outlines area goals

Chapel Hill and Carrboro are familiar with change.

But a report issued recently by a county task force says the area has more to do to protect its future.

Led by former N.C. Sen. Howard Lee, the Council on a Sustainable Community was formed in August 2003 by the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce to examine the state of the area's economy and promote social and environmental health.

Its plan, presented Oct. 5 to the Carrboro Board of Aldermen and Monday to the Chapel Hill Town Council, includes eight steps the towns can take for the area to become more self-sufficient.

"I think the concept of this council is of primary importance," said Alderman Diana McDuffee when the report was received by the board.

Among the document's suggestions are building mixed-use developments; encouraging businesses to practice fair economic, social and environmental practices; fostering learning opportunities for everyone in the area; and ensuring that residents can have "meaningful jobs" close to their homes.

These and other suggestions address the social, environmental and economic concerns of county leaders.

"The report is a product of lots of hours by community leaders," said Charlie Fisher, vice chairman of the council.

James Carnahan, a member of the committee and owner of Matrix Design, said the report deals with issues that affect the entire community.

"We are at the beginning of an era of transition," he said.

The report, which has been in the making since last fall, details the long-term goals of the community. But many steps already have been taken toward its realization.

David Stancil, director of the county's Environment and Resource Conservation Department, has helped create several initiatives that protect the county's natural resources.

The Lands Legacy program, which Stancil heads, was created four years ago to acquire preservation areas, parks and farmland. The program has been able to protect more than 2,000 acres of land in Orange County since it began.

On a long-term scale, the department has a goal of acquiring 10 percent, or 25,000 acres, of the county land by 2011, Stancil said.

The report also cites a need for healthier forms of transportation to reduce reliance on individual vehicles and promote cleaner air.

It specifically touts Chapel Hill Transit's fare-free busing, which began in 2002 with support from the town and the University. Mary Lou Kuschatka, town transportation director, said yearly ridership has gone from 3 million people to 5 million since then.

In order to further improve the program, the report suggests, the town should work with other municipalities and the General Assembly to get funding for more routes. It also should work with the Triangle Transit Authority to improve transportation between the area's major urban centers.

The sustainability council has recommended that local officials discuss its report in further detail and implement steps toward creating a sustainable community.

It also has suggested hosting a round-table discussion to track the progress of reaching sustainability.