Sellers ignored student's right to stand by his flag

Kevin Sellers' most recent letter, which asserts his right to burn a "desecrated" flag, struck me as a hypocritical attempt to justify his actions.

Though some evidence is asserted early in his letter, it quickly falls to emotional impetus for justification. Playing on qualms about a draft, using his father's veteran status and even comparing Richard Bean's desire to go to Iraq to a suicide account merely attempt to stir the reader emotionally.

The basic issue is that Sellers did exactly what he claims President Bush has done to Americans and Iraqis: impeded their right to an unhindered "pursuit of happiness," as the Declaration of Independence terms it.

As a veteran, Sellers should understand that Old Glory stands for all that Americans have held dear and have fought for in our 228-year history, not just four years of an administration he disagrees with, and that inherent in the Stars and Stripes is Bean's right to stand under it as a banner for what he values, without encroachment.

While idealistically, the flag does belong to Mr. Sellers, his father, Lance Cpl. Lucey and all of us, in reality, it was someone's personal property.

All Sellers did was pursue what he thought was best without regard for whose rights were trampled or who actually paid the cost. It seems pretty ridiculous to do this in protest of someone you claim is doing the exact same thing.

It's my flag, too, Mr. Sellers. Don't burn it.

Aaron O'Hare

Senior
Business

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide