Seniors to vote on gift Tuesday

Officials proffer 4 possible legacies

Senior class officials were cautious in narrowing the senior gift ideas down to four choices including physical and intangible options.

Now, after releasing the choices last week, they said they hope that at least one gift idea will spark each senior's interest, making the gift a testament to the spirit of the class.

Several students responded well to the class officials' efforts, and they will get a chance to vote for their favorite on Student Central on Tuesday.

On Thursday, senior marshals set up a table in Polk Place to showcase the possible gifts: a campus beautification project through the N.C. Arts Program, a 9/11 memorial garden located on North Campus, a student television station that would run 24-hour commercials for student organizations and two travel/service scholarships.

"(The event) was a huge success," said David Ruskey, chief marshal of the senior class. "Everybody seemed so excited about each of the options."

Though senior mathematics major Vernia Hall said she doesn't know which she will vote for, she said class officials have succeeded in creating a broad range of choices.

But some students said they wished there had been more publicity about the senior gifts before last week.

"It would be more ideal to have dialogue (about the gift) earlier," said Sean Marimpietri, a senior linguistics and anthropology double major. "The whole point of it is to talk about it."

Becca Frucht, senior class vice president, said extensive research and the timing of Fall Break contributed to the late release. She said seniors should still have ample time to make a decision.

Frucht also said announcing the events now means the choices will be fresh in seniors' minds.

"If you do a publicity push too far in advance, there's a higher chance people might forget," she said. "It's hard to keep that momentum up."

Students have expressed varied preferences as to which option they want to make their legacy at UNC.

"I like the social work study abroad one because I'd actually want one," said Elena Tedeschi, a senior psychology and Spanish double major.

Senior Greg Carr, a communication studies major, seconded that sentiment. "I'm all about world travel," he said.

Senior Louis Padgett, an English and art double major, wasn't enthusiastic about the 9/11 garden, favoring the N.C. Arts Program instead. "People need to appreciate the aesthetic beauty around here," he said.

Though there are four possibilities for the senior gift, the class of 2005 can leave only one behind.

Ruskey said he hopes seniors will vote Tuesday on Student Central and "let their voices be heard in the selection process."