Severe illness at UNC

Officials have initiated an extensive search for anyone who has been in close contact with a UNC freshman who was diagnosed with meningoccal meningitis - a highly contagious, potentially life-threatening bacterial infection - Thursday afternoon.

Jonathan Parker Davis, a resident of Granville Towers West, was admitted to UNC Hospitals on Wednesday, and a lab test confirmed his condition Thursday.

Late Thursday night Davis was in serious condition as he battled the disease, which can lead to permanent brain damage, hearing loss, learning disability, limb amputation, kidney failure or death.

"The situation is being monitored because we can't know which way it will go," said Stephanie Crayton, spokeswoman for UNC Hospitals.

Meningitis, an inflammation of the membranes that surround the brain and spinal cord, is contracted through close or prolonged contact with an infected person.

"We are concerned about identifying individuals who have come into contact with him," said Bob Wirag, director of Student Health Services. "We need to be as cooperative as possible in the public health interest."

Area health officials are recommending that anyone who has been in close proximity to Davis during the last two weeks immediately pursue treatment - even if they have been vaccinated - by contacting officials with Student Health or the Orange County Health Department.

The disease, which Wirag said was last reported at UNC in 1998, is transmitted through coughing, sneezing, kissing and oral contact with shared items, such as cigarettes and drinking glasses.

Davis attended a party Oct. 22 at 611 Chamberlain Rd. in Raleigh and was at Top of the Hill Restaurant and Brewery on Tuesday.

Nurses will administer doses of the oral antibiotic Cipro to students for free today at Granville Towers between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. and at Student Health this weekend. About 500 doses of the antibiotic were administered Thursday.

High fever, headache and stiff neck are common symptoms. Others include a reddish rash, nausea, vomiting, discomfort when looking into bright lights, confusion and sleepiness.

Officials stressed the need for immediate action. If untreated, the disease can progress rapidly and lead to shock and death within hours of the onset of its symptoms, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"We can't look much further past the 12 to 24 hours," Wirag said. "We've had one case in our community and we've responded quickly, but we don't know what's around the next corner."