Smith endorses Dem. Hopefuls

A short-notice rally for Democratic Senate candidate Erskine Bowles was not short on famous speakers or enthusiastic supporters.

On the lawn in front of Morehead Planetarium on Wednesday, Rep. David Price, D-N.C., and former UNC men's basketball coaches Dean Smith and Bill Guthridge threw their support behind Bowles.

All three speakers stressed Bowles' past experiences in government, which they said demonstrate that he can work effectively outside party lines in our nation's politically divided climate.

Price, who said he was there to stand in for Bowles as he campaigned in Winston-Salem, also talked of political issues that directly affect college students.

He said students should be concerned about the stagnation of the higher education bill in the Republican-controlled Congress.

The consequences of a failed bill would be the continuation of low Pell Grants for students and an unreformed student loan program, Price said. "It's a little bit hard for me to understand how any Republican can show up on campuses and ask for votes."

As the audience cheered loudly in anticipation of Chapel Hill's legendary basketball coach, Price handed the microphone to Smith, who was modest and poised.

"It's hard to follow a Morehead Scholar," he said with a smile.

Smith looked around at the largely student-filled audience and said he was impressed by the large numbers of politically active students.

He spoke of Bowles' personality, which he described as very bright and caring.

"There is no one who could do a better job of going on both sides of the aisle," said Smith, who has known Bowles since he was a student.

After Smith, Guthridge spoke for a few minutes, starting off by humbly saying, "Following David Price and Dean Smith is like having the junior varsity game after the varsity game."

Guthridge urged everyone in the audience to find two or three people who weren't planning to vote and send them to the polls.

After the rally, the audience lined up for autographs. They ranged from veterans to elderly women wearing hats plastered with Bowles and John Kerry stickers to students holding signs saying "Bowles is Best."

Tom Jensen, chairman of the Students for Bowles campaign, estimated that 500 supporters attended the rally. "That's pretty good for 36 hours' notice."

Many students attended in support of both Bowles and Smith.

"Dean Smith represents North Carolina in so many ways, and his endorsement of Bowles just shows that Bowles wants the best for North Carolina," said Owen Alexander, a junior political science major.

After the rally, a handful of students carrying posters against Republican candidate Richard Burr marched to an on-campus rally for the Senate hopeful.

"We're not here to silence (Burr). We're just here to provide another viewpoint for the media," said Josh Glasser, a member of the UNC Young Democrats.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.