State & nation briefs

Two die in train accidents in Alamance, Guilford counties

BURLINGTON - In a span of 24 hours, two people have died in separate train accidents in neighboring Alamance and Guilford counties.

About 8 p.m. Monday, a man was hit by a train in Burlington. Relatives identified the victim as Donald Allred, who was in his 40s. Police hadn't formally identified the victim.

Neighbors said people often congregated along the railroad tracks and others had been injured by trains in the same area, but not in several years.

On Sunday, just west of the Guilford-Alamance county line, Karen Breeze was killed and her companion, Alan Agnew, had a leg severed when they were hit by a train.

Investigators said Breeze, 44, and Agnew, 43, were sitting on the railroad tracks near their residence in Gibsonville just before 7:30 p.m.

Furniture manufacturers, retailers spar over tariffs

HIGH POINT - Furniture makers are encouraged while retailers are alarmed by the prospect that Washington soon might impose higher import duties on some Chinese furniture.

Some American furniture manufacturers say this would give them breathing room and help protect domestic factory jobs. But a coalition of U.S. furniture retailers counters that elevated tariffs will result in supply shortages, delivery problems and higher prices for consumers.