Students, others gather for anti-Bush bash

Online Exclusive

Sounds of political protest rang throughout McCorkle Place on Sunday afternoon during the Festival for a Better Future.

Sponsored by a number of campus organizations, the festival was not only a testament to presidential candidate John Kerry's cause but also an encouraging call to the masses to hit the polls Nov. 2.

"It's important for students especially and the community at large to know that change is possible," said student Katie Harris, one of the event's organizers.

With change in mind, speaker after speaker mounted the stage decrying the flaws of President Bush's administration.

During his speech, Gene Nichol, dean of the UNC School of Law, described Bush's "radical commingling of church and state" as "building a bridge to the ninth century."

Quoting President Lyndon B. Johnson, Nichol added, "We may not know everything, but we know the difference between chicken shit and chicken salad."

Several issues, from Medicaid to minority coalitions, were covered, and everyone from political science majors to major political players such as N.C. Sen. Ellie Kinnaird, D-Orange, spoke.

Environmental activist and UNC grad Liz Veazey pointed out that Bush has "rolled back over 300 environmental protections." UNC history Professor Michael Hunt said the Bush administration has "grossly exploited" the public's post-9/11 fears.

Keynote speaker Allan Gurganus, an author of international acclaim, illustrated his disgust with the administration by using a personal anecdote. While traveling down a familiar forest trail with a friend, he said he noticed that every tree to the horizon had a piece of orange tape around it.

When Gurganus asked his friend what the loggers were waiting for, she replied simply, "Re-election."

Speakers weren't the only form of entertainment the festival offered, however, and their soliloquies were interspersed with the music of bands Dirty5Thirty, Other Nature and Permanent Darling.

Dave Lippman, the self-proclaimed "world's only singing CIA agent," even provided a politically charged comedy routine.

Regardless of who was on stage, a diverse crowd of adults, children, senior citizens and students always roared in approval.

A little way from the stage, a host of town and campus organizations set up tables to provide information and support.

Public Assembly, a local nonprofit organization, provided blank campaign signs on which festival-goers could paint their own anti-Bush messages.

As founding member Roger Ehrlich explained, "It give(s) people an opportunity to break through the silence."