You might have expected Roy Williams to boogie in the middle of the court. You might have expected the bald Dick Vitale wig and the Duke jokes. You even might have expected David Noel in drag once again.

But you never could have expected Melvin Scott pirouetting in pink knee socks, fluttering his eyelashes for the Smith Center crowd.

The ballet number, featuring seniors Scott, C.J.

Hooker, Jackie Manuel and Jawad Williams, capped an evening of creative skits and wild costumes - but questionable dance moves - during "Late Night with Roy" festivities Friday.

"Some of those guys have got two left feet, I'll say that," Noel said.

"A lot of us can dance, but a lot of us can dance more hip-hop style. What we were doing out there, that choreographed stuff -people had a hard time with it."

The most entertaining skit might have been the dead-on Roy Williams impression from sophomore Wes Miller.

Trailed by David Noel and a three-piece "Eye of the Tiger" band in a parody of a Starbucks commercial, Miller knelt on the sidelines, screamed at two players, pounded the press table and threw his jacket into the crowd.

He then limped off the court with both his gray wig and glasses askew.

"That was 100 percent great," Noel said. "I was having a fun time laughing behind him during the Roy skit, but that thing was funny. He did that the best I've ever seen."

Miller's target couldn't contain his amusement during the sketch, tearing off his glasses and rolling with laughter.

"I've never seen that guy in my entire life," Roy Williams told the crowd. "But we start practice tomorrow, so I'll get him back."

Oh, right. Practice.

Even as the players - and coaches - showed off their dance moves and comedic abilities, the beginning of basketball season was never far from anyone's mind.

ESPN personality Stuart Scott, who hosted the event, made sure of that.

"Let's be clear," he told the boisterous crowd early in the evening. "We're going to win the national championship this year."

A neutral observer might have needed some convincing, though.after watching the Tar Heels.

The team struggled through a scrimmage that began once Friday night gave way to Saturday morning.

A White team led by Jawad Williams and Sean May defeated the Blue team 45-41, but every player had just one objective in mind - don't get hurt.

"I kept watching the clock run, wanting to get it over with," Roy Williams said.

Jawad Williams showed impressive range, draining four 3-pointers early in the scrimmage from several feet behind the arc.

Damion Grant dominated the lane at the other end, as freshman Marvin Williams discovered when he collided with the burly center while driving to the basket. Grant didn't budge, and the ball bounced away.

Last year, UNC exited the NCAA Tournament in the second round after a loss to Texas. The postseason appearance came after a two-year absence from the tournament.

The Tar Heels showed flashes of the talent that has many experts, including Vitale, placing them atop preseason rankings.

But they showed enough sloppiness to allow Roy Williams to do what he does best: coach.

"If you're a college basketball coach and you don't enjoy these next five weeks, you're in the wrong business," he said.

"This is when we get to do what we like to do."

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.