Task force nears release of system's safety report

The UNC systemwide campus safety task force, formed earlier this year in the aftermath of two murders at UNC-Wilmington, is set to complete its report sometime in the next few weeks.

A final draft of the committee's recommendations will be submitted to UNC-system President Molly Broad's office before being presented to the Board of Governors. Officials plan to have the report ready in time for the board's December meeting.

Dara Edelman, student body president at UNC-Greensboro and one of two student members on the task force, said that the campus environment subcommittee is expected to propose annual threat assessments and security audits for each campus.

Willie Bell, a member of the task force and Chief of Police at Winston-Salem State University, said each of the system's 16 schools have been asked to compile and submit statistics for violent crimes on campus.

"Each campus does an annual security report," Bell said.

"But to bring (the reports) together and assess each other, I think this is the first time we've done that."

The committee hopes to establish a mechanism that allows a range of campus officials involved in student life to come together to exchange ideas and information and to pass along their findings to the entire system.

By establishing an annual report for the BOG, Edelman hopes UNC can become one of the first university systems in the country with a regular, comprehensive safety review process.

"We need to have everybody sit down and say, 'Are we addressing all the issues?'" said Edelman. "When you have all those heads come together, you can start a dialogue and find out what you need to work on at each campus."

Bell emphasized the importance of continually scrutinizing the security situation on each campus.

"You want to have a way to measure what you've implemented," he said.

The task force found that half of all assaults on system campuses take place in residence halls, so particular attention will be paid to educating residents about proper precautions in handling visits from guests and encouraging neighbors to look out for one another.

"That's what it comes down to," Edelman said.

"It's just about educating people."

For committee members, part of that education came from a session with violence-management consultant Bob Martin, vice president of the firm Gavin de Becker and Associates.

The de Becker firm advises clients worldwide, including numerous government agencies and 25 university policy departments.

Robert Kanoy, associate vice president for Access and Outreach in the system president's office, said the consulting firm contacted the task force when they learned that members were reading de Becker's bestseller "The Gift of Fear," recommended by UNC-W chancellor Rosemary DePaolo.

Kanoy said he was impressed with the depth of Martin's knowledge and that the committee learned a great deal from his visit.

"We had a chance to kind of pick his brain for a day," said Kanoy. "(Mr. Martin has) been on the Los Angeles police department for 27 years, and he is really a wealth of information."

The admissions subcommittee of the task force is scheduled to meet Nov. 2nd, after which the two subcommittees will reconvene to author the task force's final report.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.