Tobacco group runs low on grant cash

A group that seeks to help the state's ailing tobacco industry might not have enough funds to cover the grant requests it has received in recent weeks.

A subcommittee of the N.C. Tobacco Trust Fund Commission considered three applications Tuesday from organizations hoping to receive additional grant money. But the commission's top official said cuts in funding might make it difficult to fulfill their wishes.

"It will be tight to give all money being requested," said Executive Director William Upchurch. "We're getting down to the tail end of funding. The out-of-cycle grants are asking for money during a tough time."

The three applicants already receive yearround grants from the commission, which provides funding for programs that strengthen agriculture in North Carolina.

While trying to complete their current projects, officials said, the groups became aware that they lacked the necessary funding.

Applications for money from the commission usually are accepted during the summer. But because it had less money to dole out, the group - which typically attracts more than 100 applicants - was unable to consider any requests until now.

Elaine Matthews, vice president of communications and development for the N.C. Rural Economic Development Center, is one of the current applicants. She said her organization receives important help from the commission in funding some of its programs because the two groups share similar goals.

The center's Project New Start, for example, aids the job search of laid-off workers in counties dependent on tobacco. And the Burley Marketing Center hopes to make burley tobacco farmers more competitive by ensuring that their wares are sold in the state at a fair price.

Now, the marketing center could have to find a way to survive without the last installment of a $2.47 million grant the commission awarded it in 2001.

The Rural Advancement Foundation International-USA, a group that tries to promote sustainable and equitable agriculture, is another group vying for the commission's funds.

"In the past, our program provided 170 continuing jobs and 22 new jobs," said Betty Bailey, the group's executive director. "We also leveraged many new dollars and improved viability in farms. ... The Tobacco Trust Fund Commission has reason to believe that our program is a strong program."

In order to be approved for grants, groups must show that their projects will assist at least one facet of the state's diverse needs.

"Projects must tie into the tobacco family somehow and show some type of impact," Upchurch said.

The TTFC Grant Review Subcommittee will present its recommendations to the full 18-member commission in one week for approval.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide