Aldermen won't shift grave site

Developers can't find next of kin

The Carrboro Board of Aldermen unanimously denied Tuesday a developer's request to relocate a group of graves off Merritt Mill Road.

The graves, whose occupants are unknown, would have been moved to make way for a 164-unit apartment complex proposed by the South Atlantic Group.

"It was exhilarating. I'm glad," said William Gattis, a local resident who has spearheaded the resistance to the relocations.

"I didn't think it was going to turn out this way," he said, adding that he was concerned that the aldermen would accept the developers' proposal. "It was like the one against the many."

Steve Simpson of South Atlantic and Boscoe Fulcher of Woodlawn Memorial Gardens, the firm Southern Atlantic employed to manage the disinterment, both declined comment after the aldermen's decision.

Before the aldermen made their decision, Gattis gave an account of the black community that had existed in the location before Ready Mixed Concrete in Chapel Hill moved in.

"It's been sad to watch how it's been destroyed over the years," Gattis said.

After Gattis and two other community members spoke to oppose the idea, Alderman Alex Zaffron proposed that the board make a decision. "I've heard enough. The questions that have been raised confirm the questions I raised last time."

Mayor Mike Nelson commended the developers for responding to the aldermen's earlier request that the company do more to identify the interred individuals, but agreed with the aldermen that more research was needed and that efforts should be made to preserve the graves.

In order to move the graves, the developers need the consent of the next of kin, permission from the town of Carrboro and a permit from the Orange County Health Department.

But the developers have had difficulty in locating the next of kin because the exact identity of the people interred is unknown.

Gattis' 93-year-old mother and Randy Bright, of Bright Funeral Home and Cremation in Wake Forest, disagree about how many graves exist.

Bright found evidence of an adult and a child, but Martha Gattis told William Gattis that three people with the last name Strowd - Mama, Lou and Callie - were buried there.

When town officials called, she said she was uncertain who was buried there.

If developers make an effort to locate the next of kin and are unsuccessful, the town can grant them permission to move the bodies.