Correction
Due to an editing error, the Nov. 10 article "Black might be sole leader" states that N.C. Rep. Sam Ellis, R-Wake, said the majority of North Carolinians are registered Republicans. Ellis actually said the majority of North Carolinians are "Republican." The state has more registered Democrats than Republicans.

The N.C. House might be consolidating in the upcoming session.

Having gained a 63-57 advantage after last week's election, House Democrats likely will do away with the co-speakership.

Many suspect that Co-speaker Jim Black, D-Mecklenburg, will become the sole speaker.

"He did what was necessary to maintain his partisan advantage, but when it came to respecting us as individuals and representatives, he did a good job," said Rep. Frank Mitchell, R-Iredell, of Black's tenure as co-speaker.

Black was speaker for two terms before the chamber was faced with an evenly divided body after the 2002 election.

Legislators spent a week trying to select a single speaker but finally arranged for Black and Rep. Richard Morgan, D-Moore, to share the seat.

Julie Robinson, Black's spokeswoman, cautioned that the time for choosing a new speaker is still a ways off.

But the prospect of Black becoming the only leader in the House worries Rep. Sam Ellis, R-Wake, because the majority of North Carolinians are registered Republicans.

"It is much better to have a token Republican than it is to further inspire the wrath of the overwhelming majority of the voters of this state," Ellis said.

But Morgan has been accused by many House Republicans of fracturing the party.

Mitchell said Morgan did not give Republicans ample opportunity to have their bills heard.

Ellis said Morgan also betrayed his party by deliberately drawing a redistricting map that favored state Democrats.

Rep. Gordon Allen, D-Person, said that if Black is selected speaker in January, it would substantially increase his power.

The speaker, when not on the House floor, is in charge of appointing chairs to committees.

Rep. Verla Insko, D-Orange, said during the co-speakership, the bipartisan effect often trickled down to the committees, which were run by co-chairs. This became bulky during the past two years, she said.

Although Black is the favorite among many Democrats and Republicans, it isn't certain that he - or any single person - will be speaker this session.

"If they let Richard Morgan stay on as co-speaker, he will not have the ability to have an influence on public policy," Ellis said.

"But the public perception will be that Jim Black is not a hard partisan Democrat because he is willing to continue with this shared coalition. And in politics, perception is reality."

But Robinson said Black anticipates gathering support by reaching out in a bipartisan manner.

Aside from the speakership, the shift of power in the House has other consequences.

"One of the biggest challenges facing us is finding a way to meet our budget," Insko said.

The new balance of power in a House in which many Republicans pledged not to raise taxes means that Democrats will have control over budget appropriations, Insko noted.

Robinson said Black wants to focus on improving education and fortifying the state budget, an agenda with which most members of the House can agree.

"He hopes to keep moving North Carolina forward," she said.

Insko added that Republicans will have a harder time curtailing abortion, promoting a statewide same-sex marriage ban and continuing "NRA-friendly" policies, while Democrats will be more able to fund programs such as health care.

Mitchell said Republicans acknowledge that items such as the same-sex marriage ban and anti-abortion laws will not make progress anytime soon.

Kevin Howell, communications director for the N.C. Republican Party, said he hopes Democrats, in serving a conservative state, would favor the constitutional amendment banning same sex marriage.

The House will reconvene on Jan. 26, and selecting its leadership will be near the front of its agenda.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.