City briefs

No suspects in elementary school's second vandalism

Unknown perpetrators vandalized Mary Scroggs Elementary School over the weekend in what is the sixth reported incident of vandalism at the school since June 1, said Chapel Hill police spokeswoman Jane Cousins.

In the latest incident, reported at 9 a.m. Monday, vandals stole shovels from a fenced-off garden area and moved dirt from a fossil pit onto the basketball court, reports state.

There was also evidence of burning on top of a picnic table and a broken ramp railing, Cousins said.

Police do not have any suspects in any of the incidents.

Laptop taken in Ransom St. domestic burglary incident

A burglary and larceny at 219 Ransom St. was reported at 9 a.m. Monday, Chapel Hill police reports state.

Residents of the house, all UNC students, awoke to find that the house had been entered and that a laptop was missing, reports state.

According to reports, the suspect entered the house through an unlocked front door.

Police do not have any suspects in the burglary.

CHPD arrests homeless man outside of sorority house

Chapel Hill police arrested a homeless man Sunday evening and charged him with felony first degree burglary in addition to larceny, assault on a government official, possession of stolen goods and possession of drug paraphernalia - all misdemeanors - in an incident at 110 W. Cameron Ave., reports state.

According to reports, Edward Virgil Ingram, 35, was seen entering the Kappa Alpha house about 10:30 p.m.

He was confronted and told to leave, said spokeswoman Jane Cousins, but officers found him behind the house carrying a black and white gym bag full of soccer equipment. During the booking process Ingram lunged toward officers aggressively, she said, adding the bag was determined to be stolen and a crack pipe was found in his pocket.

Ingram was taken to Orange County Jail on a $19,500 secure bond. He was to appear at the first available opportunity Monday in Orange County District Criminal Court in Hillsborough.

Carrboro police apprehend "Pac Man" in foot pursuit

A Durham man was arrested Monday by Carrboro police and charged with possession of a stolen vehicle, a felony; resist, delay and obstruct; and breaking and entering of a residence, both misdemeanors, at the Carolina Apartments in Carrboro, police reports state.

DeJuan Kendrick Owens, 26, also known as "Pac Man," was observed driving into the complex at 11:51 a.m. in a car that had been reported stolen from the University Lake apartments earlier that day, reports state.

According to reports, Owens attempted to flee the parked vehicle but was caught by officers after a foot pursuit and short struggle. But when officers tried to retain Owens, he wrestled free and fled, reports state.

According to reports, he was tackled and detained by two citizens, one of which was a maintenance worker at the complex. Owens was taken to Orange County Jail to be held on a secured, $1,000 bond until the first possible appearance in Orange County District Criminal Court in Hillsborough.

From staff and wire reports

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide