College systems spar over transfers

In light of a recent study, there is talk of revamping the UNC system's admissions process for community college graduates who carry associate's degrees.

The study, conducted by MGT of America Inc., was commissioned by a systemwide task force on collaboration between the system and the state's community colleges. It recommends that the N.C. General Assembly require the UNC system to enroll all graduates from one of the state's community colleges at one of its 16 schools.

While most parties agree that admitting more community college graduates into the UNC system would have a positive impact, some are skeptical about involving the legislature in the admissions process.

"The admissions process is a very complicated process," said Mark Fleming, a lobbyist for the UNC system. "Each campus has its own standards and requirements."

Fleming added that as it stands right now, every qualified applicant from a community college who carries an associate's degree has a place at one of the system schools.

"The community college students are an important part of our student mix."

Martin Lancaster, president of the N.C. Community College System, said he is supportive of the study's recommendation.

"It bothers me that there are still students who can't find admission to a state-supported university," he said. "(Graduates) are well prepared when they leave community college."

Lancaster said community college graduates who are not admitted to a system school are forced to attend a private college at a greater cost to them and their families.

But Fleming said he is worried that legislatively mandating admission of these graduates might threaten the system's academic independence.

The report states that the number of community college graduates transferring to UNC schools increased 27 percent during the past four years. The number peaked in 2003 at more than 6,800 students.

The study made the recommendation upon the basis that qualified associate's degree holders often have trouble finding a place within the university system.

UNC-Chapel Hill has enrolled more than 100 community college graduates each year during the past two years. In 2003, UNC-CH had 505 applications from community college graduates, and the University admitted 159 of them.

In fall 2004, UNC-CH admitted 185 students from community colleges in comparison with 650 from other colleges and universities.

Addison Bell, member of the UNC-system Board of Governors, said the legislature's involvement would simply mandate what he thinks already is a regular practice.

"Some of the 16 universities already admit students with a two-year degree automatically," he said. "UNC-Charlotte already does that. I suppose the legislation would codify the practice."

The debate will hang in the air until state legislators return in January to Raleigh. Fleming said the issue will certainly be discussed in further detail during the legislature's long session.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.