County provides flu shots

High-risk people can be vaccinated

The Orange County Health Department now is providing high-risk individuals with an opportunity to receive the influenza vaccination this week by appointment only.

Flu clinics will be held Wednesday and Thursday at the department's Hillsborough and Chapel Hill offices.

Wayne Sherman, personal health services director for the department, said some appointments still are available.

Sherman said only people who meet the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's high-risk criteria are eligible to receive the vaccination.

These criteria include children 6 months to 23 months, individuals 65 years of age and older, individuals 2 to 64 years of age with a chronic illness, women who will be pregnant during the flu season, individuals living in nursing homes or other chronic-care facilities, children 6 months to 18 years who are on daily aspirin therapy, health care workers and individuals who have or take care of a baby under 6 months of age.

By next week, the department expects to receive more of the vaccine and will distribute a majority of it to local practices, Sherman said.

Appointments can be made from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. through today by calling 245-2478 or 245-2474.