Courses to change local face of beauty

UNC students will have a chance to receive salon services from their peers when the newest branch of the Aveda Institute, a cosmetics and beauty company, opens at 200 W. Franklin St. in March.

The adjacent Aveda retail store opens in December.

The institute will offer courses in cosmetology and esthiology, and two-thirds of the training will be hands-on, said Tracy Main, director of admissions and recruiting at the Aveda Institute-Columbus.

"It provides a way for students to get a high-end haircut or coloring at a value price because it is a learning experience," she said. "The cosmetology students get a chance to work on their peers and practice the most up-to-date cuts and coloring."

The 42-week cosmetology course will provide students with instruction in hair cutting, coloring, texturizing and perming. A 16-week esthiology course teaches skin-care services such as facials, waxing and body treatments.

Main said that when clients come for a haircut or coloring, they also will receive an Aveda Sensory Experience.

The experience depends on the service being provided but generally consists of a scalp, neck, shoulder and hand massage; stress-relieving treatment; mini facial; and free makeup touch-up. All services provided by students are overseen by a licensed cosmetology instructor.

"What we are trying to do is to raise the bar and change the perception of the beauty industry," said Patrick Thompson, owner of the Aveda Institute-Columbus, noting that most beauty schools' locations don't allow them to attract upscale clientele.

Thompson said Aveda's goal is to train its students to communicate well with clients and perform salon services at the highest level.

"You want to be able to train on the people you will eventually service," he said.

Thompson said one of the benefits of being located near a college campus is that the University students of today are the salon customers of tomorrow.

"The school's coming here is a good thing," said Alan Corpus, owner of Salon 135. "It's a very good training school and ... we need properly trained stylists."

Corpus said Mitchell's Hair Styling, which has several schools in North Carolina, now holds a monopoly on stylist licensing. He said he hopes the Aveda Institute will provide local spas and salons with trained professionals.

UNC is not the first campus to get a nearby Aveda Institute. Main said Aveda also has a location near Ohio State University, where more than 500 clients, many from the university, have been served in one week alone.

Thompson said another advantage of being in a college town is that some students realize a traditional four-year college is not for them, and the Aveda Institute provides an alternative career route.

"A lot of parents throw up their hands when their son or daughter wants to be a hairdresser, but a stylist can do very well financially," he said. "We want to educate students to be as successful as possible."

Contact the Features Editor at features@unc.edu.