Dorm life takes center stage

Everyone claims their lives are dramas, but some take it to the next step.

Lab! Theatre presents an out- of-the-ordinary look at college life through the story of a dorm room in "Mangum 310."

Written by student Bryan Cohen, it begins Friday at the Elizabeth Price Kenan Theatre in the Center for Dramatic Art.

The play, which was created so Cohen wouldn't have to write a paper for a theater history class, soon developed into a full-length play, inspired by Anton Chekhov's "Uncle Vanya."

"Uncle Vanya" tells of the life of farmers, and Cohen wanted to create a sort of "dorm pastoral, telling the life of dormers."

The play chronicles the story of two roommates and the friends they meet on the hall by looking solely at dorm life, with all the action taking place in a single room - 310.

Cohen, who has enjoyed his on-campus experience and has continued his stay into senior year, based the play loosely on his own experiences.

"I had a lot of fun people to build off of," Cohen said. "When I started writing, the characters were pretty closely based on some people, but then they changed around circumstances. As the play has developed, the characters have definitely taken on a new life."

But the play isn't exactly going for realism. Though it bases its story on dorm life, Cohen heightened the drama of these average people to create something more in the line of "The OC" or "Beverly Hills, 90210."

The dialogue in particular diverts from convention.

"It's not exactly written how people speak," Cohen said. "The rhythm just kind of reflects how I see dorm-type conversations going - short and seemingly meaningless, but with a lot of meaning underneath."

But even if it's not necessarily realistic, many audiences should be able to connect with it.

"The play deals with so many different types of people, it appeals to everyone," said Meredith Dixon, an actress in the play. "You are bound to find someone who you can relate to."

Aaron, one of the roommates and primary characters, is someone many college kids can understand.

"He's out for companionship and spends the entire time trying for more," said Kit FitzSimons, the actor who plays him.

"He's determined to go out and have the friends and have the girlfriends and have the people there for him that he needs to get through the day."

These and other characters make up the cast of 10 actors and a rotating actor. The rotating actor is a mystery character who will be played by a different person each night. Student Body President Matt Calabria will play this role on one of the nights.

The cast includes people with all levels of experience, from first-time actors to seniors who have been involved for years.

Dixon, who has never been in a play at UNC before, said she has loved her experience and the play itself.

"It is a chance to show kids what college is about," she said. "Life is gonna happen, and you have to take it as it comes."

Contact the A&E Editor at artsdesk @unc.edu.