Eateries pledge funds for shelters

If residents of the Triangle decide to go out to eat today, they might be fighting more than their own hunger.

The Restaurants Sharing V/5 + V/5 Percent program is holding its 16th annual fund-raising event to aid hunger.

The RSVVP program allows area restaurants in Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Raleigh and Durham to donate 10 percent of their gross sales for one day out of the year to help feed the hungry in their local communities.

This year, more than 250 restaurants in the Triangle pledged to participate, including a record 110 in Chapel Hill and Carrboro.

"The program started in Baltimore, Md., with a group of waiters and waitresses just putting some of their tips into a jar," said Irene Briggaman, coordinator of the local RSVVP effort.

Briggaman started the program in Chapel Hill and Carrboro in 1989. "We had 43 restaurants sign up the first year, and we made about $6,500," she said.

Businesses in Raleigh and Durham joined the operation in 1990, and together with Chapel Hill and Carrboro, participating restaurants have raised more than $350,000 over the last 15 years.

Briggaman said the goal for this year is to raise $45,000.

Proceeds from the fund-raiser benefit the Community Kitchen of Durham Urban Ministries, the Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina and the Inter-Faith Council for Social Service, which operates a shelter and community kitchen in Chapel Hill.

"We've been participating as long as the program has been around," said Christy Raulli, a member of the board of directors for Weaver Street Market in Carrboro.

Briggaman said there are nine businesses that have been part of the project every year and 40 that have been involved for 10 years or more.

She said participating restaurants benefit by getting involved. "It's such a good deal. They're buying good will, publicity and community spirit," Briggaman said.

Greg Overbeck, owner of Squid's Restaurant-Market and Oyster Bar at 1201 U.S. 15-501 Bypass, has been a program participant almost every year since 1989.

"We feel that we need to give back to the community as much as we can," he said. "When the community is supporting you, you have an obligation to give back."

A complete list of participating restaurants is available by city at http://www.rsvvp.org.

Central Carolina Bank is helping to fund some of the administrative costs for the 2004 campaign.

"There is power in numbers," said Steve Riddle, general manager of Panzanella, located in Carr Mill Mall in Carrboro, which is participating for its fifth year.

"What's unique about (RSVVP) is that all of the area restaurants have joined together," he said. "That's what makes it special."