For the love of their game

Student athletic trainers work long hours to keep performers in shape

Junior Becca Frazier said she thought it was "pretty cool" when senior Kelsey Keeran lost the top part of her finger at field hockey practice earlier this year.

Frazier isn't a sadist, but she is one of UNC's student athletic trainers.

The senior exercise and sport science major is one of 45 students pursuing the school's concentration in athletic training.

Frazier, who has also worked with Durham's Jordan High School and UNC's varsity football team, said she was excited about the opportunity to expand her working knowledge as she saw Keeran's emergency unfold firsthand on the field.

"As nasty as it was, it was a good experience," she said. "I won't freak out now if I see something like that in the future."

The high level of enthusiasm Frazier exhibits toward training is crucial, considering the dedication required by the program outside of regular coursework.

Before students even apply for the program in the fall semester of their sophomore year, they must have acquired at least 50 observation hours in Fetzer Gymnasium's training room.

Throughout their participation in the program, students must complete more than 1,000 hours of clinical experience over five semesters, including assignments with 28 varsity UNC teams and a handful of local colleges and high schools.

The time commitment is similar to that of a varsity athlete, said Meredith Petschauer, clinical site coordinator, and many students far surpass the minimum hour requirement.

Undergraduate trainers work alongside graduate students and professionals and are responsible for everything from athlete hydration and preventative taping to emergencies and rehabilitation.

"Our students are there for treatment before, during and after all practices and for all of the games," Petschauer said. "They are there every day."

UNC has had a graduate athletic training program for a long time, she said, but the undergraduate education program received national accreditation in 1997 by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs.

"You have to be quite committed to be in this program," said senior Naomi Chang, president of the Student Athletic Trainers' Association.

It's great being on the sidelines for competitions and games, she said, but the extensive paperwork on treatment is less enthralling.

Even so, working with UNC athletes is amazing, Chang said.

"They are so elite, it's amazing how quickly some of them can recover from injuries."

Frazier also takes pride in the athletes she serves.

"Field hockey was ranked No. 1 in the country throughout most of the season," she said. "Not a lot of people can say they've worked with a number one team."

The hours are a little insane, Frazier admits, but she says the work is still fun.

"You get the best seat in the house."

Fun aside, the impact of an undergraduate athletic training program is tremendous, Petschauer said.

Another important aspect is highlighted in the fact that local high schools frequently request undergraduate students because they know they are fresh out of the classroom and equipped with the newest information, she said.

"What most people don't see is that because we have this program, we are on the cutting edge of knowledge."

Contact the Features Editor at features@unc.edu.