Gas prices won't slow Thanksgiving travelers

High gas prices and low airfare have prompted many travelers to opt for the baggage claim instead of traffic jams this Thanksgiving.

While air travel is up a staggering 7 percent from last year's Thanksgiving season, auto travel has declined slightly, said Sarah Davis, public relations manager for AAA Carolinas.

Since last Thanksgiving, she said gas prices have risen by 49 cents to an average of $1.29 across North Carolina.

Despite the increase, Davis said that more than 1 million travelers still are expected to hit the highway this Thanksgiving.

"Usually Wednesday is extremely heavy, but Sunday is the heaviest because people want to spend as much time with their families as possible," Davis said. "It's still a huge driving holiday, but those planning a trip may find it more economical to fly."

And a rise in airline ticket sales reflect travelers' preference.

The Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority predicts 300,000 arrivals and departures in the Thanksgiving travel period, which includes flights between the Friday before the holiday to the Monday after it.

This coming travel season will be the busiest since before Sept. 11, 2001.

But there are a couple of things passengers can do to decrease the amount of time they spend in line, said Mindy Hamlin, RDU spokeswoman.

For one, passengers can print their boarding passes from the airline's Web site.

And according to a press release issued by RDU, "Passengers with electronic tickets are encouraged to use their airline's self-service kiosk to print boarding passes, choose seats and, where available, check luggage."

Also, motorists parking between terminals can pay with the "exit express" option - in which they keep their ticket with them while they travel and pay for parking when they return.

But Hamlin said the No. 1 traveling tip is to arrive early.

"We're recommending that travelers flying on our peak days - Monday and Tuesday before Thanksgiving and Sunday and Monday after - arrive at least two hours early," Hamlin said.

And though the only predicted inclement weather is a little rain in the middle of the week, Hamlin said passengers should call the airport before they arrive to make sure flights still are on schedule.

Although plane passengers might want to take precautions to avoid lines, motorists also should take precautions to avoid traffic jams and accidents.

In the last five years, state highways have averaged 23 fatalities every Thanksgiving, though the number dropped to 17 last year.

To avoid accidents, AAA recommends driving during the day, taking breaks every two hours and staying informed about lane closings and detours.

According to N.C. Department of Transportation, most work zones on interstates and U.S. routes across the state will be inactive during the Thanksgiving holiday from Nov. 23 through Nov. 29 to help cut down on traffic delays.

More information about road closings, incident management assistance and alternate routes can be found on the N.C. DOT Web site.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.