Global aims include public service

In Manhattan's 843-acre Central Park, the first urban landscaped park in the United States, children have been able to ride a carousel since 1871.

About 25 million people visit the area every year - some to get married, some to glimpse its 26,000 trees, some to run around its 21 different playgrounds.

Halfway around the world, in an area roughly the size of Central Park, one out of every five people is HIV positive. More than 80 percent of youth aged 18 to 30 are unemployed.

And ethnic strife, and even war, always loom around the corner.

That's what life is like for the people of Kibera, an area in Nairobi, Kenya, that is also the largest slum in all of East Africa.

After spending six weeks in the area on a Burch Fellowship to study youth problems and ethnic violence, University alumnus Rye Barcott decided to take a stance.

While a student at UNC, he imagined creating youth programs in Kibera that would provide residents with the resources they need to break the cycle of poverty.

"I figured I would raise a little money and invest in a sports program in Kibera," Barcott said.

But he created a program that extends far beyond sports.

Carolina for Kibera Inc., an international nongovernmental organization housed at the University Center for International Studies, has established a youth sports association, girls' center, medical clinic and nursery school in the slum.

Barcott was not interested in giving handouts. Instead, he wanted to create a program that allowed the citizens of Kibera to help themselves.

"The whole goal of this organization is to have a project run by the residents of Kibera, with decisions made by the residents of Kibera," he said.

Barcott, who now is stationed as a Marine in the Middle East, said he sees the program as part of the University's greater mission to internationalize.

"It's a symbol of expanding the public service mission of the University overseas in a place of desperate need," he said.

The University's Academic Plan describes UNC declares internationalization as one of the University's top priorities. In his State of the University address Sept. 29, Chancellor James Moeser talked about this process, saying it ties in with many campus-based initiatives and will make the University a stronger institution.

Barcott is just one of many students dedicated to fulfilling this mission, and similar service programs abound at UNC.

"Our University talks about public service a lot, but we really and truly have extraordinary engagement and outreach in this community," said Marjorie Crowell, assistant provost for international affairs.

Dental student Brad Picot traveled to Africa last summer for the launch of the Malawi Project, a dental program he helped to create. "I went to Ghana three years ago and because of what I saw there, I was inspired to create the Malawi Dental Project at the dental school," he said.

Four UNC dental students travel to Malawi, stay with host families and volunteer at a dental clinic. They give fluoride treatments, toothbrushes and toothpaste to residents.

And they help to educate citizens about dental care, HIV and AIDS.

"It was not only a reminder of all of the things I took for granted, but it's a cultural experience," Picot said.

With only 13 dentists for the country's 12 million people, it is difficult for the residents of Malawi to access oral health care. That's why, Picot said, he was so excited about his vision coming to fruition.

Crowell said universities must offer a myriad of international service opportunities and take a global approach in all aspects of campus life to remain on the cutting edge.

"It is critical that institutions of higher education are really focusing on international dimensions of their missions of teaching, research and public service, and educating global citizens," Crowell said.

Niklaus Steiner, executive director of the Center for International Studies, said UNC is on the right path because the future of higher education lies in global universities.

"Increasingly, you have to find the best in faculty and students, not just from your country, but from all over the world," he said.

Crowell said she is impressed by the passion for service present on campus and that she hopes it continues to grow.

"We have such an array of expertise and talent at this University, and there are so many important and critical ways that we can have an impact on different areas of the world by sharing our knowledge, skills and energy."