Mismatched bits mar 'Beauty'

"Stage Beauty" flows like a sleazy piece of live theater.

Seventeenth-century English theater saw a transition from stiff gender barriers to the loosening of the proverbial girdle for actresses. As a period piece and film, "Stage Beauty" has fancy speech and little character development - but memorable love scenes.

Billy Crudup portrays an actor of female roles, and Claire Danes, who steals his bit as Othello's Desdemona, seems to desire him - although there is never a true clarification of his bisexuality.

Appropriate gender roles are stressed at the film's end, when Crudup's character plays the Moor, a male role.

Operating under the 1660s paradigm, Ned Kynaston (Crudup) by law must step down as Desdemona and retreat to either a male role or nothing at all. His former dresser, Maria (Danes), helps him find the suppressed man inside of him that has lain dormant since childhood.

The transition from men to women playing female roles should be a victory for women's rights. How unrewarding it was for women when men believed they were more capable of representing women on stage than women themselves.

Keeping the argument gray, Kynaston argues that there is no art in women playing themselves. The hand movements and innocent demeanor of women take many years to perfect.

Unfortunately, these lessons are not easily unlearned, as Kynaston discovers when he can only perform as a woman in a seedy tavern after the new law has been passed. The real-life Kynaston ultimately goes on to play male roles.

At the film's climax, Crudup remains lightweight, not only in his demeanor but also in his believability. He helps Danes with her acting like Sean Patrick Thomas helps Julia Stiles dance in "Save the Last Dance."

The two films should never be compared otherwise.

And as usual, the leading man saves the day, or in this case, play just in the nick of time. What a surprise!

Danes' character is more a spokeswoman for actresses than a dynamic artist; thus, the story is carried by minor roles.

Hugh Bonneville as the theater manager, has more personality than Danes, and the true leading lady is Zoe Tapper, who plays Nell Gwynn, King Charles II's mistress. Vibrant and properly manipulative, Nell convinces the king (Rupert Everett) that women's roles should appropriately be played by women.

The advantage of the screen over the stage is the use of accurate scenery and realistic characters to make the audience emotionally involved.

Richard Eyre directs this adaptation of a play as though it were a play, and his artistic attempt fails. The sets are obvious, and over-dramatic acting by the film's nobility appears too stressed.

"Stage Beauty" endures just long enough. An interesting concept and historically valuable, the film's plot had potential. The surprising lack of strong performances from Hollywood A-listers disappoints.

More chemistry hopefully exists between Danes and Crudup in their off-screen affair.

Contact the A&E Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.