School board hopefuls get grilled

Candidates for the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Board of Education presented their cases for why they would complement the school board at a forum Monday.

The forum was held at the Lincoln Center for the 10 candidates looking to fill former school board member Valerie Foushee's vacated seat.

The candidates made opening statements, and board chairwoman Elizabeth Carter asked each candidate questions about their platforms. Following the question-and-answer session, each candidate gave a closing statement.

Candidates first were asked to identify what they believed were the school board's strengths and to cite its greatest challenges.

Carolyn Schwarz said she saw the school board as being a supportive body in the school district.

"There is a real feeling of support for our schools and our students," she said.

Candidate Belinda Zayas also noted the district's strengths.

"One of our greatest strengths is our past record of success," she said.

But Zayas added that one of the challenges facing the school board was in being sure that past success would not lead to complacency.

The achievement gap was also the subject of much discussion by the candidates.

Gary Kayye said the school board has addressed the gap appropriately. "I do think we're moving in the right direction."

But, Kayye said, strides must be made in grassroots movements.

Richard Perry said he thinks other programs still could be implemented to address the gap.

Perry said he supports a bilingual program in the schools.

The physical environment and infrastructure of the district's older schools also were discussed.

Schwarz noted the complexities of maintaining the older schools while building new ones. "It's a fiscal balancing act."

Candidate Neal Bench cited the need to have equal resources available in both new and old schools.

He said that when a new school receives new resources, those same resources should be added in the older schools.

The school board also heard the candidates' ideas regarding recent high school reform discussion.

Additionally, candidates addressed ways in which the school board could improve communication with other area groups.

Yu Lou said there could be efforts made to better communication with Orange County Schools.

Pam Hemminger said she saw interactions with the community as important for the schools.

"I'd like to see a lot more collaboration going on," she said.

Schwarz said school resources such as libraries could be used to benefit the community after school hours.

Kayye said any opportunity should be taken to share resources.

Candidates also were questioned about schools of choice, schools' health-related policies and the school board's role in preschool and after-school programs.

The school board will announce its new member at its Thursday meeting.