The newly re-elected president has promised millions of dollars to the ailing community college system, but officials are divided as to whether or not the Bush administration will provide the money to match its campaign claims.

"There's been a stagnating funding environment for our colleges," said David Baime, vice president for government relations at the American Association of Community Colleges.

"Stagnation, at a time when enrollment is surging and we have a state budget crisis, is really a loss."

President Bush and the Republican Party addressed this issue in campaigning and planning for the next four years of their administration.

The 2004 Republican platform states that community colleges are "increasingly critical providers of job training, both for degree-seekers and for workers seeking to retool, refine and broaden their skills."

Most of Bush's proposals are geared toward increased funding for education that serves as job training.

He has asked Congress to allocate $250 million that would be used to build ties between community colleges and surrounding industries.

"We're very pleased that President Bush recognizes the work that community colleges do in training the workforce of North Carolina," said Peggy Beach, communications specialist for the N.C. Community College System.

"We know that the president has visited the North Carolina community colleges at least twice in the past year, so he is aware of us and aware of the work we do."

The Republican platform specifically discusses support for Bush's High-Growth Job Training Initiative, "which has provided seed money to fund job training partnerships between community colleges and local high-growth industries."

The initiative is funded by the U.S. Department of Labor's Employment and Training Administration, primarily through two accounts totaling about $71 million.

Community colleges in North Carolina and other states already are using its backing.

"Around here, we call it 'No Adult Left Behind,'" said Steve Scott, president of Wake Technical Community College. "What he has done is provide funding specific toward job training."

The program has helped to foster relationships between Wake Tech and companies like Credit Suisse First Boston, a global investment firm.

"For students, we're interested in customer satisfaction and goal completion," Scott said. "We ask the employers two sets of questions. We ask them their level of satisfaction for new hires and their level of satisfaction for the hires we go in and train. We also look at whether or not our students get jobs."

But Scott said more funding is needed to expand the program.

"What Wake Tech needs are the resources to provide hands-on skills training," he said. "When somebody graduates and goes for a job, they need theoretical and hands-on skills."

Despite the need, Baime said funding for most higher education programs has gone without a major increase.

"We're very anxious about the budget," he said.

"At the same time, we've been rhetorical darlings for politicians. We have not seen the funding. Colleges really need help from the federal government."

A huge concern for community colleges is the stall in financial aid increases, specifically for Pell grants.

"The Pell grant program is the most important program for our students, and it looks like the program will remain frozen," Baime said.

"There doesn't seem to be any indication that Congress will be increasing Pell grants."

The funding for the program actually has increased, but the maximum grant awarded is still $4,050 because of the growing need for grants. The Pell grant originally was enough to pay a student's way through four years of college.

The Republican platform also cites Bush's Enhanced Pell Grant proposal, in which "low-income students who take a rigorous high school curriculum -- the kind of curriculum that will best prepare them for success in college - will be eligible to receive an additional $1,000 per year."

But Adam Bozzi, a spokesman for U.S. Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I., said Democrats have had to fight for money for financial aid.

Bozzi said Bush tried to eliminate some federal financial aid loans and awards, but Democrats fought to get the money back.

"It's been a problem," he said. "They included several new mandates, but they didn't come through with the funding and we've had to fight and scratch and claw for funding."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.