Student officials to stay in posts

Allowed to stump without resigning

Students serving on the executive branch of student government will not be forced to resign from their positions if they assist student body president hopefuls with their campaigns next semester.

During past administrations, Cabinet members have been forced to vacate their posts before participating in any campaigning activities.

But Student Body President Matt Calabria said he altered this practice to preserve the makeup of the executive branch.

Prospective presidential candidate Tom Jensen said he disagrees with the policy change.

He said having a campaign manager who is a part of the executive branch could send a message to students that the particular candidate is endorsed by student government.

The change marks a shift in the interpretation of the section of the Student Code that specifies permissible student government activity during elections.

Past student body presidents, including Matt Tepper, Jen Daum and Justin Young, forced campaign workers to resign from their posts in student government.

"This was not a matter of the Student Code, but a matter of student body president opinion," Calabria said. "The Code never stipulated that members of the cabinet can not participate in campaigning."

Calabria said he made this decision to suit the needs of his administration, and the Cabinet members view the option of serving in both roles as a matter of time commitment rather than a conflict of interest.

Student Body Vice President Alexa Kleysteuber said officials make sure that campaign workers on student government have the option to fulfill the job they signed up for last year.

The Calabria administration is taking steps to ensure that the student government office will be the most neutral place on campus during campaign season.

Both Calabria and Kleysteuber said they are actively prohibiting campaign activity and paraphernalia from the student government office.

But Jensen said allowing cabinet members to work for candidates while maintaining their positions has the potential to harm the election process.

"I think the previous policy gave the executive branch more credibility," he said.

But Leigha Blackwell, a former Student Congress representative who is considering running for student body president, does not have a problem with this change.

She said many times people who have experience with student government decide to run for office, and some of their main supporters are people who served with them.

Blackwell said she believes this change is acceptable.

"As long you don't have someone in one of the main positions, like speaker or president, then they should be allowed to help."