Saturday, June 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Students see Moeser up close

Chancellor and students convene at Johnston Center to discuss issues

Despite the lofted ceiling and grand chandelier, the atmosphere in the lounge of Johnston Center for Undergraduate Excellence remained informal as students conversed with Chancellor James Moeser on topics ranging from a proposed grant from the John William Pope Foundation to Tom Wolfe's new book, "I Am Charlotte Simmons."

The Student Advisory Committee to the Chancellor hosted the open house Monday afternoon, giving students an opportunity to talk with Moeser about issues they think are important.

Committee chairwoman Alexa Kleysteuber, who also serves as student body vice president, said the group's goal is to act as a messenger between the chancellor and the student body. She added that many students at the University don't know who Moeser is or what he does.

"We're trying to focus on bringing the student voice to him," she said.

Erin Fornoff, a senior anthropology major, said she waited two months last semester before she was able to speak to Moeser for 20 minutes about economic affirmative action.

She said she enjoyed the open house and the chance to speak with the chancellor.

"At first he had trouble being accessible, but he's obviously trying to include student input," Fornoff said. "It's a great start. It is something administrators need to do."

After the discussion was complete, Moeser spent several minutes meeting and talking with students, getting to know them personally.

"It's always helpful to meet someone in the flesh," Moeser said.

The open house was not the first event designed to promote interaction between students and the chancellor. Previous efforts have included office hours in the Pit.

Moeser said the problem with the office hours was that students who approached him were just wandering by the Pit. Students at the open house, on the other hand, knew why they were there and what issues they wanted to discuss, he said.

The topics covered included the growth of the University; the Pope donation; the Carolina Covenant program, which allows students, who often are first-generation college students from the state's poorest families, to attend the University without financial burden; economic affirmative action; and Wolfe's risqu

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide