System growth breaks record

The UNC system faced record enrollment growth for the fall 2004 semester, welcoming an academically stronger, more diverse population to its 16 campuses.

For the fourth consecutive year, systemwide enrollment increased by more than 6,000 students, and it shows no sign of slowing down anytime soon.

Fueled by record numbers of continuing education students and Hispanics, system schools this year enrolled an all-time high of 189,615 students. The figure marks an increase of 6,268 students from last year -- a growth rate of 3.4 percent.

The system's student body also maintained its quality, with average SAT scores for first-time students increasing from 1075 to 1079.

At UNC-Chapel Hill, one of the five institutions with a "dramatic growth rate," enrollment increased by 519 students.

"We've enrolled more students for a variety of reasons," said Steve Farmer, director of undergraduate admissions at UNC-CH.

"The university system has asked Chapel Hill to grow, and the University has, so far, said that we can do this."

Across the system, new waves of Hispanics gave enrollment figures a boost, with their systemwide enrollment increasing by 442 students - or 14 percent.

Alan Mabe, system vice president for academic planning, attributed this increase to the growing Hispanic population in the state.

"As we have a growing number of Hispanic students in our high schools ... we are pleased to see this increase," he said.

But this trend is just part of a larger direction for the system.

Though the sky might not be the limit for future enrollment growth, Mabe said the numbers likely will continue to rise. The system's Board of Governors has estimated that in just eight years, the 16 campuses will boast about 230,000 students.

Joni Worthington, a spokeswoman for the system, said two primary factors are driving this trend.

"One (factor) is demographics, where we have increasing numbers of high school graduates who in turn are seeking admission to university," she said.

"We also have a growing number of older students ... who because of the changing demands of the job market ... are returning to the classroom because they either find they need a degree or need a higher level of education to keep the job they have or get a better job."

Mabe also said the state's job market is drawing people to the area - and when students come to the area, they tend to stay.

"North Carolina is high-tech. As we bring in more industry ... it's simply an attractive place for people to come.

"It's also the case that North Carolina doesn't lose many of its high school graduates. Other states lose up to 30 to 40 percent."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.