System looks to fix teacher shortage

BOG brainstorms retention strategies

In 10 years, UNC-system officials say, North Carolina could be facing a shortage of 12,000 public school teachers every year.

And because of this problem, leaders are pointing to the system's mission - to serve the residents of the state - and taking steps to find a remedy.

Increasing the retention rate and the supply of teachers in public schools long has been one of the goals of system leaders, including President Molly Broad and the Board of Governors. Now, Broad has projected that with the system's help, the shortage could be remedied in the next 10 years.

A report she prepared for the BOG's Friday meeting states that more than 11,000 additional teachers are needed each year, a number that is expected to grow to 12,000 in the next decade.

The report also states that more than 40 percent of teachers drop out of the public school system in their first five years on the job.

Because of these problems, which are exacerbated in the state's poorer, more rural counties, the Board of Governors has been charged with redoubling its efforts to increase enrollment in its own education programs.

"If you look at our rural counties, you see turnover rates that get up to 40 and 45 percent," said J.B. Buxton, an education adviser to Gov. Mike Easley. "We are losing one out of three teachers a year."

In the past year, UNC-system campuses have graduated about 2,300 teachers. Broad's plan aims to increase that number to 5,000 teachers during the next 10 years, an increase of 117 percent.

If retention improves by just 5 percentage points during this period, an additional 4,600 teachers would be kept in the state's classrooms.

Scott Emerick, communication and policy associate at the Southeast Center for Teaching Quality in Chapel Hill, said that in order to keep these teachers, the state needs to provide more than just financial incentives.

"Just throwing money at the problem won't solve it," he said.

Emerick said teachers' working conditions also must be improved. This process includes reducing class sizes as well as bringing in highly qualified leaders as administrators.

Broad's plan also seeks to increase the number of certified teachers by allowing more people to complete some type of alternative teaching program.

The College of Education at East Carolina University has set up consortium partnerships with regional community colleges to offer these options to area residents seeking an education degree.

The program, Wachovia Partnership East, makes it possible for students throughout eastern North Carolina to obtain a four-year degree in education from ECU without having to travel to the main campus.

"This is one of the most powerful vehicles for attracting teachers to these rural areas and keeping them there," said Yokima Cureton, director of communication for ECU's education college.

Emerick said Broad's plan is feasible but would entail a lot of state- and business-sponsored initiatives.

"The state needs to invest widely and systematically," he said.

"The scope of the problem is pretty large. It's not impossible, but there needs to be a considerable effort from the state and a lot of political will."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.