Town clerk to leave after 23-year stint

At the end of this month, Chapel Hill will lose a woman who many agree has valiantly served the town and the public for the last 23 1/2 years.

Town Clerk Joyce Smith's retirement will become official at 5:01 p.m. next Tuesday.

"I told the town manager that you have to have fun with a job, and when it stops being fun, you should stop doing it," she said Tuesday morning. "Well, I'm still having fun, but too much for too long just makes you tired."

She said her main reason for leaving is so she can have more time to spend with her grandchildren, Rocky, 3, and Zora, 15 months, as they start to grow up.

"Children are the most precious commodities that we have. It's a privilege to be able to contribute to their upbringing," she said.

Smith originally was hired as a word processor in 1981, before the town used computers.

"I remember when they brought the first (computer) through the door in 1984. We all said, 'Gosh, now we have to learn to use these things?'" she joked. "A lot has changed, but it's for the better."

Smith worked as a word processor until 1988, when she was promoted to office manager for the clerk's office. She served in this position until 1993, when she was promoted to deputy clerk for the manager's office. She has served as town clerk since 1998.

"I am proof that you can start at the bottom and work your way up," she said.

She is one of only 16 clerks from 550 municipalities throughout North Carolina to have earned the distinction of master municipal clerk.

"Working with Joyce has been a wonderful experience. She's a grand teacher," said Deputy Town Clerk Sandy Cook, who has worked for Smith for the last five years.

Cook will be named as the interim town clerk while applicants are reviewed for the position, which is expected to be filled in January.

Smith said she will stay involved with the town by doing part-time contract work at the new Town Operations Center.

Town Manager Cal Horton, who has worked with Smith for the last 15 years, said he will have to get used to not seeing Smith at Town Hall.

"She will certainly be missed in several ways," he said. "It will take some time getting used to working with someone else in her position."

The town will honor Smith with a retirement ceremony from 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday at Town Hall.

Smith didn't hesitate to say the thing she will miss most about her job is the people. "It has always been my pleasure to be a public servant, and it's been a privilege to be able to do that for several years."