UNC gets supply of flu vaccine

Shots reserved for students determined to be 'high-risk'

Students in danger of contracting the flu now will be able to get vaccinated on campus.

Despite far-reaching shortages, UNC Student Health Services has procured 1,000 of the 3,020 doses of flu vaccine allocated to the county's Health Department by the N.C. Immunization Branch.

"We ... were pleasantly surprised when we found out that we were allocated the amount of vaccines we received," said Bob Wirag, director of Student Health Service.

Because of the limited number of vaccines available, the doses are reserved for high-risk students who meet a set of criteria drawn up by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Students can visit the Student Health Service Web site and fill out a questionnaire to find out whether they qualify to receive the vaccine.

But students who cannot receive the vaccine need not worry, as only those who are considered high-risk could face serious health risks from contracting the virus.

Wirag said he is not certain whether Student Health Services will receive any more doses this flu season.

"There is a worldwide shortage. We were surprised to be able to receive any vaccines at all," he said.

Some students said they are concerned that the shortage has prohibited them from receiving the preventative vaccine.

Sophomore Jay Falk said that if it weren't for the restrictions, he would get a shot.

"I'm going to be mad if I get the flu and I couldn't get the shot because I'm not critical."

In a lighthearted afterthought, he added, "If I die, then I'll really be mad."

Junior Cameron Farlow also is restricted from getting a flu shot but said she would want to get the inoculation if given the chance.

"If I have more of a tendency to get it and it could cause problems, I would want to protect against it."

If students do not qualify to receive the vaccine, experts say, they can take preventative measures to decrease their chances of catching the disease.

Officials have underscored the need for students to avoid close contact with people who are sick and to avoid social situations when ill.

"Good hygiene is primarily important," Wirag said.

Officials have recommended washing hands thoroughly with warm water and soap for about 20 seconds.

"Students should be careful not to share personal items. The virus is often shared through the exchange of bodily fluids, primarily kissing."

For more information on flu prevention, visit the Centers for Disease Control Web site at http://www.cdc.gov/flu.