2 programs might see 2nd-term budget cuts

Bush to release proposal next week

In response to the ballooning federal deficit, President Bush is going to have to find ways to cut back costs in his 2006 budget.

But many say the place to cut funding is not education.

“I haven’t seen the president’s budget, but we are certainly dis-heartened about the possibility that so many good education programs may be cut,” said Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, R-Fla.

Two college-access programs, Upward Bound and Talent Search, might not receive funding if the president’s proposal — to be released next week — goes through.

The programs provide resources for low-income and disadvantaged students whose family histories often do not include college graduates.

More than 950 Upward Bound and 500 Talent Search offices exist nationwide. UNC boasts an Upward Bound office, and both programs have offices at N.C. State University.

“In the case of Upward Bound, they do get academic support, and for both programs they get some guidance as to how to choose the right school, how to go about looking for financial aid,” said Susan Trebach, vice president for communications at the Council for Opportunity in Education.

“These are programs that help students become productive, tax-paying citizens.”

The idea of completely eliminating the programs for thousands of students alarms those who say such cuts will directly affect the ability of many students to attend post-secondary schools.

“It’s a pathway that the government has created, and now it’s going to be unavailable,” Trebach said. “I am certain there will be some students who will not go to college because they won’t have the assistance of these programs.”

Both programs were created in the 1960s as a part of President Johnson’s “Great Society” reforms. They are based on college campuses and serve as resource centers for surrounding communities.

The programs are a part of TRIO, a larger organization that also provides student support services and educational opportunity centers.

“TRIO programs have been the staple for a good 30, 35 years, and in that regard these programs continue to be very important for the students that they serve,” said Hector Garza, president of the National Council for Community and Education Partnerships.

Action against any proposed cut of the programs has yet to begin because the proposal is neither official nor public at this time. Passage of the president’s budget also depends on whether Congress will approve it.

“That’s a question that is hard to answer and unpredictable because it is really going to depend on the political will of the Congress to continue a program that the president has slated for elimination,” Garza said.

The Department of Education refused comment on the possibility of the elimination of the programs from the budget until the document is formally released.

Trebach said she thinks lobbying against such a cut will occur once it becomes an official proposal. Ros-Lehtinen is already planning to do so.

“It is going to be difficult, but I am optimistic that we will get a lot of members that will be helping us,” she said. “I just don’t know if we will be successful.”

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.