Bush appoints UNC alumnus

Claude Allen’s career started small, but the UNC graduate’s new appointment places him in the White House as President Bush’s right-hand man on domestic policy.

Allen, who was tapped for the position Jan. 5, graduated from UNC with degrees in linguistics and political science. In 1982, he was selected to be the press secretary of Bill Cobey’s failed campaign for the U.S. House.

Being a major part of a campaign the same year as college graduation is rare, Cobey said. But Allen, who has also received a law degree from Duke Law School, exhibited leadership qualities beyond his years.

Important roles continued to be a regular part of Allen’s career, the most recent being deputy secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

“He just seemed to always be composed about things,” Long said. “He was not easily ruffled.”

Jesse Helms’ office also seemed impressed because Allen was hired as Helms’ first black aide right after Cobey’s campaign ended in defeat.

According to friends, Allen takes compassionate conservatism to another level.

Along with his wife, Jannese, he served on the board of Caramore Community in Carrboro for a number of years. He led the board twice for the community, which provides the mentally ill with real-world skills.

As board chairman, Allen did more than just oversee the finance and business matters of the center. He worked to show his compassion for the people in the community, said Jack Simonds, former president of Caramore Community.

“He’s actually one of the finest men I’ve ever known,” said John Dodd, president of the Jesse Helms Center and a longtime friend.

“(And) he hasn’t forgotten his roots both in North Carolina and the African-American community.”

Allen has been nominated for a position by President Bush before. In 2003, he received the president’s backing for the Fourth Circuit of the United States Court of Appeals.

Democrats blocked the nomination because of Allen’s stance on abstinence and a statement he made during Helms’ 1984 gubernatorial attempt. Allen said then-N.C. Gov. Jim Hunt had ties to “queers.”

“Bush’s appointment of Claude Allen is disappointing and appalling,” said Terry McAuliffe, chairman of the Democratic National Committee, in a Jan. 6 statement.

“If Bush wants someone with a history of intolerance to set domestic policy for the country, then the American people are in for a difficult four years.”

But opposition did not concern Allen when accepting the position. The biggest concern he had about taking the new job was how it would affect his family, said Steven Long, a Raleigh tax attorney and friend from Allen’s years at UNC.

Friends and colleagues say Claude Allen is the right man for the job.

“He certainly is a conservative, but he also has a heart for those who are less fortunate and the impact of the policies he will be working with the president on,” Dodd said.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.