Campus briefs

Funds from reception, meal to go toward tsunami relief

The Interfraternity Council will host a reception and dinner Feb. 12 at the Fearrington Inn in Pittsboro to aid in tsunami relief efforts.

The night will include a four-course meal, musical entertainment and small gifts for generous donors in attendance.

All ticket proceeds will be donated to the Habitat for Humanity International Asia Tsunami Response Fund.

For more information, contact the IFC at ifc@unc.edu or visit the event’s Web site at http://www.tsunamidinner.com.

Senior scholarship winner feels the luck of the Irish

Senior Richard Waters is one of 12 recipients of the 2005-06 George J. Mitchell Scholarship, supporting graduate study in Ireland and Northern Ireland.

The Mitchell Scholarship program, which announced the recipients Friday, selected the 12 from 220 applicants representing 166 colleges and universities.

Waters is UNC’s second Mitchell Scholarship recipient since the program began in 1998.

Waters will use the scholarship to earn a graduate degree in applied science at the University College Cork in Cork, Ireland.

Waters plans to pursue his medical degree and combine scientific research and applied medicine to help people in underserved regions of the world.