Campus briefs

UNC Press reports incidents of forgery with 5 checks

UNC Press reported Friday that five checks had been forged in the press account by unknown subjects, according to police reports.

Randy Young, spokesman for University police, said the incident is under investigation, and the police report is the only information available at this time.

3 professors garner first Kauffman fellowships

Three UNC professors have received the first Kauffman Faculty Fellowships, which support entrepreneurial activities to enhance teaching and research.

The selected faculty members, all from the College of Arts & Sciences, are Harvey A. Goldstein, professor of city and regional planning; Dorothy Holland, distinguished professor of anthropology; and Francesca Talenti, professor of communication studies.

Fellows will be awarded research leaves during the spring 2006 semester through the College of Arts & Sciences’ Institute for the Arts and Humanities.

The fellowships are a component of the Carolina Entrepreneurial Initiative, or CEI, a University program promoting entrepreneurship across academic disciplines to benefit students, faculty and society.

The fellowships provide $20,000 to the faculty members’ academic department to cover teaching responsibilities during the research leave, $5,000 for the research project and support from a panel of advisers.