Candidates take 1st step

Several UNC students will flood campus today with clipboards in hand, soliciting signatures of support and officially kicking off the first round of the election season.

Almost 40 students began their journey to holding student government positions Thursday evening during a mandatory candidates’ meeting in which hopefuls declared their candidacy for the elections.

After learning the rules and regulations of the election season, four candidates committed to participating in the race for student body president. Three students are vying for Carolina Athletic Association president, and two pairs are campaigning for top positions as senior class officers.

While 25 students have declared intentions to run for positions in Student Congress, candidates for both the Graduate and Professional Student Federation president and Residence Hall Association president will run unopposed.

Many students recall last year’s turbulent election process, but Heather Sidden, chairwoman of the Board of Elections, said this year’s race has gotten off to a smooth start.

“We made changes over the summer to address specific problems that we had last year and to try and answer them.”

Each candidate is required to obtain a certain number of signed petitions from different students stating their support for that specific candidate.

Signing more than one candidate’s petition is an Honor Code violation, and members of the elections board are taking extra steps to ensure that there are no overlapping or duplicate names.

This year, candidates are required to submit a spreadsheet with the names and PID numbers of each student who signed their petition. Several BOE members said they think this will make it easier to detect foul play.

Student body president and CAA president candidates are required to turn in 800 signatures.

Candidates for senior class president and vice president, as well as the RHA president, must turn in 350 signatures.

The GPSF presidential candidate must provide 100 signatures, and students running for Student Congress are required to have 20 signatures.

Candidates for all offices must turn in the spreadsheet and signed petitions to the BOE by Jan. 20. Public campaigning with materials and resources can begin Jan. 25.

The elections will be held Feb. 8. Run-off elections will occur Feb. 15 if candidates in selected offices fail to obtain a majority of the votes.

The BOE also made revisions to the dorm-storming policy. Candidates now are only permitted to campaign door-to-door Sunday through Thursday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Campaign workers must wear badges identifying for whom they are campaigning.

But before bombarding residence halls, candidates must establish a student organization bearing the name of their campaigns. After establishing a president and a treasurer of their organizations, candidates will be given space for a campaign Web site.

Sidden said she believes that the student elections are off to a good start with excellent candidates.

“We’re looking for a nice clean campaign this year, which has kind of become our theme.”