City briefs

<b>

Council to consider new name for Town Hall building

The Chapel Hill Town Council tonight will consider a proposal to rename Town Hall in honor of former Chapel Hill Mayor Howard Lee and Lillian Lee, former dean of students at Chapel Hill High School.

The proposal, made by Mayor Kevin Foy and Mayor Pro Tem Edith Wiggins, suggests that the building be named Lee Municipal Building starting May 8, the same day as the renaming of Airport Road is scheduled to take place.

Howard Lee was the first black mayor of Chapel Hill, and, according to the petition, the first black mayor elected in a predominantly white city in the South since Reconstruction. He was also a five-term state senator and is chairman of the state Board of Education.

His wife, Lillian, spent almost her entire teaching career in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro school system, the petition states.

Council to hold hearing on leaf-blower use tonight

The Chapel Hill Town Council will hold a public hearing tonight to consider the proposed regulation of leaf blowers and similar equipment with the goal of preserving air quality.

Council member Cam Hill made the proposal at the council’s Sept. 27 meeting because of concerns about the noise emitted by the machines and their effects on air quality.

Based on comments received, Town Manager Cal Horton will draft a recommendation on whether to go ahead with the proposal.

The public hearing begins at Town Hall, at 306 N. Columbia St., at 7 p.m.